/* The Divi child theme test */ 203 Grove Avenue | Town of Washington Grove
301-926-2256 washgrove@comcast.net

Lot and Block » Lot 2 & pt 3, Block 8 Old Lot 18 & pt 19, Block R
Name »
Built » c. 1902 Assessment records indicate 1915
Built by » Major Samuel H Walker for the Smiths
Style » Bungalow
Owner(s) » Maria B Smith, 1893 (Lot 2: #358) Charles A & Mary E Smith, 1902 (Lot 3: #582) Peter J Valaer, Jr, 1912 (#822) Samuel H & Sallie A Walker, 1929-1937 (#1140) Janet Walker Smith, by 1946 Norman C. & June Healy (liber 1023 folio 217) Ellsworth M. & Ann K. Briggs, 19 March 1964 (liber 3198 folio 120) Ellsworth M. Briggs & Thera Kahler, by 1991
Remarks » The history of 203 Grove closely connected with 201 Grove on Lot 1. William H H Smith owned Lot 1 in 1894 when Maria Smith owned Lot 2. Peter Valaer owned Lots 1 & 2 in 1912. M B Smith still recognized as lessor of lot in 1946 when the Town claimed ownership due to nonpayment of rent. Janet W Smith lived on Northampton St, NW in 1946. Many alterations and additions made by Healys including enclosing side and front porches. Briggs’ added large west dormer to create 2 bedrooms and full bath upstairs.
Sources » Edwards, 208; Edwards House History Worksheet; Register of Stock Certificates; Town Directories; Assessment records. McCathran statement, 6-18-1946; Tax list, 1946. Elly Briggs notes.

Scroll Up