/* The Divi child theme test */ 206 Grove Avenue | Town of Washington Grove
301-926-2256 washgrove@comcast.net

Lot and Block » Lots 12 & 13, Block 5 Old Lots 21 & 22, Block A
Name » Portobello
Built » c. 1882-84
Built by »
Style »
Owner(s) » H. A. Singer Robert Cohen, 1894 (Lot 13:#385) W K Cohen, 1894 (Lot 12:#386) Mary E Cohen, 1910 (Lot 13:#768) Sallie Walker, 1914 (#893) Charles Myers, 1914 (#905) Isabella A Myers, 1930 (#1153), 1937 (Deed 668:452) John (?) Myers, c1946-1951 Philip K Edwards Jr, 1951-1973 Philip K. & S. H. Edwards 3rd (liber 4369 folio 205), 1973 Conrad Ritter & Christiana Figueres
Remarks » One of first four cottages built on Grove Avenue. House located on Lot 13 which was extended an extra 29 feet to avoid cutting trees to build the house. H A Singer is believed to have been original owner, but no record of stock ownership has been located. Cohen’s year-round address was 630 Pennsylvania Avenue, DC (1893). By 1952, Philip Edwards Jr restored the house, adding cement basement and second story. Assessment records indicate addition 1976.
Sources » Edwards, 91, 106, 196; Edwards House History Worksheet and notes; 1886 plat of Grove Ave; Voting List, 1893; County Tax Records; Phil Edwards notes; Assessment records, 1946 Town Tax List; Shantz, p47; “Washington Grove News,” by June Healy, Sentinel, 1952.

Scroll Up