/* The Divi child theme test */ 404 Fourth Avenue | Town of Washington Grove
301-926-2256 washgrove@comcast.net

Lot and Block » Lots 7, 8, 9; Block 12 Old Lots 7-9, Block 3
Name The Little Acorns
Built » Before 1895 Assessment records indicate 1875
Built by »
Style » Carpenter Gothic
Owner(s) » Charles R. Murphy (Lot 8), 1894 (#444; 1897 Deed TD 4:200) E R (or E L) Boyer, 1895 (Lot 7; #458) Clara M Bell, 1903 (Lot 7; #621) Kate Murphy Purdum & Mary E. Murphy, 1913-c 1941 (Lots 7-8; #843, 880, 951; Deeds 668:453, 668:492) Ruth W. Waddill & Maude S. Nuttall, 1943 (liber 911 folio 72) George A. & Jane H. Pughe (tenants, May 1948 to May 1954) Roland A. Waddill Jr., non-sale transfer 11 June 1970 (liber 3968 folio 622) Timothy M. & Hester Mowbray C. Campbell, 20 November 1970 (liber 4019 folio 757) H. Mowbray C. Campbell, 2 September 1976 (liber 4831 folio 508) Wendell C. & J. E. Swenson, 30 December 1977 (liber 5072 folio 869) Rodger W. Smith ($105,000) 1/1982 Robertson, selling in 1984 Judy Banachowski & Bruce Rothrock, 1984 to 1992
Remarks » The Murphys were residents of Clarksburg, Md. Boyer was from Baltimore. Clara S. Steuart (Estate of, by 1938: Deed 668:492). By 1941 both cottages had been uninhabited for many years and considered “a menace to the health of the community”–McCathran recommends tearing them down; demolition permit granted 6 June 1941. “extensive improvements” made by Waddill & Nuttall 1943-45. Dr. Nuttall was a psychologist. Present house composed of two neighboring houses, connected by 1960.
Sources » Edwards, 204; Record of Leases (1883-1906); Town Directories; 1946 tax list; Kitty Wilkerson files; Town Records; 1937, 1941 & 1945 McCathran corres and 1943 agreement to sell, Land Records file, Town Archives; see Deed 952, p398; Summary of Washington Grove Assn deeds, 1935-37, Land Records, Town Archives; 1938 McCathran corres., Land Records; Edwards Historic House Worksheet; County Tax Records; 1893 Voting List; Assessment records, Jane Pughe, December 1991.

Scroll Up