/* The Divi child theme test */ 407 Acorn Lane | Town of Washington Grove
301-926-2256 washgrove@comcast.net

Former: 407 Grove Avenue
Lot and Block » Lots 20-21, Block 12 Old Lots 43-46, Block 3
Name »
Built » c. 1886-1892 Assessment records indicate 1900
Built by »
Style »
Owner(s) » Lot 21 Rudolph, Harriett, Ernest & Anthony Johnson, 1886 (Old Lots 44-47; Cert #138-141) Rudolph Johnson, 1892 (#280; Deed JA33:21), 1911 (Lot 20; #777)
Lot and Block » Lots 20-21 Harriet E. Johnson, 1917 (#980) Benjamin T. and Mary W. Hynson, 1925-post 1937 (#1105) Merle R. & Vivian J. Barbour, by 1959 Harriet C. Woodruff (liber 2852 folio 189) A. Robert & E. M. Smith, 10 July 1968 (liber 3763 folio 408) Alan & A. C. Tannenbaum, 10 August 1978 (liber 5184 folio 820) Judy Banachowski & Bruce Rothrock, 1992
Remarks » House on lot 21. Greenhouse built by 1960. Woodruff made extensive modifications to the cottage and converted the garage to a bedroom. In 1890, Jessie L Burns owned Lot 20 (#196) [Lot 47 in 1893] on which was built a “shanty” which was removed when he sold it to Rudolph Johnson in December 1910. A year-round resident of the Grove, Burns built and operated Hershey’s store and was the Grove’s first postmaster. In 1910 Rudolph Johnson worked for the Department of the Interior, Bureau of Pensions.
Sources » Town directories; Kitty Wilkerson card file; 1925 indemnity bond, Land Records, Town Archives; County Tax Records; Edwards House History Worksheet; Register of Stock Certificates; 1893 Voting List; Phil Edwards notes; Assessment records; Town correspondence 1959-60; Rudolph Johnson correspondence 7 December 1910, Association records, Subject file “Cottages moved or burned”; Association correspondence 14 December 1933.

Scroll Up