/* The Divi child theme test */ 419 Fourth Avenue | Town of Washington Grove
301-926-2256 washgrove@comcast.net

Lot and Block » Lots 7-8, Block 14 Old Lots 26-27, Block 4
Name »
Built » Part of structure built by 1896.
Built by »
Style » Material: fieldstone
Owner(s) » Samuel P Heinline, 1885 – original owner (#74) D Darby Thompson, 1885 (#82) M Jessie Wood, 1886 (#120) Myrtle J & Court F Wood, 1890 (JA21:283/296) Martha J Graham, 1902 (#580) Daniel E Garges, 1909 (#720) to post-1937 David F & Ophelia Bradley, 1935 (Deed 598: 358) Miss Betty K. Bradley, 7-27-1966 (transfer w/o liber, folio) Charles A. Negin, 6-16-1976 (Deed 4795:796) Charles A. & A. L. Negin, non-sale transfer 3-19-1979 (Deed 5296:282)
Remarks » In October 1896 Court F. Wood was leasing the house out. Summer kitchen moved from yard to 411 Grove Avenue, where it was appended as a wing. Assessment records indicate interior in poor condition 1976; house rebuilt and renovated 1980. Daniel Garges was for many years Secetary to the Board of Commissioners for the District of Columbia. Assessment records date house to 1885, though these are not reliable.
Sources » 1946 tax list; Town Directories; Kitty Wilkerson files; Summary of Washington Grove Assn deeds, 1935-37, Land Records, Town Archives; Record of Leases, 1883-1906; Register of Stock Certificates; Assessment records; Wood correspondence 6 October 1896; complaints folders, subject file, Association records, Shantz p. 48.

Scroll Up