/* The Divi child theme test */ Historic Preservation Commission Meeting Minutes March 2007 | Town of Washington Grove
301-926-2256 washgrove@comcast.net

20 March 2007 | Approved: 17 April 2007

HPC members present: Bob Booher, Chair, Ed Mroczka, Mimi Styles, and new commissioner, Margot Bohan. David Neumann was unable to attend. The meeting was called to order by the Chair at 7:30 p.m. The agenda proposed by the Chairman was adopted after a few changes by members. Mimi Styles agreed to take minutes for the meeting. The minutes from the February 2007 meeting were not presented for adoption. They are expected at the April 2007 meeting.


The HPC agreed to conduct a preliminary review of the renovation planned for 333 McCauley Street (the property formerly owned by Mr. LeCompte). Although the materials submitted by the new owner, Mr. Bassler, were minimal, the HPC was able to speak with him by phone during the meeting, and he provided sufficient information. Ed Mroczka will write the preliminary review.

Town Council Report

Dave Stopak gave an update on the Harrison property annexation, and he provided a recap summary of this issue. Dave expressed his concern that an appropriate pedestrian connection to town be addressed. Dave also reviewed the status of the LOS condemnation.

Other Business

New commissioner, Margot Bohan, was welcomed by the Bob and she was given a review of recent HPC activities and topics.

Bob Booher reported on the walkways/speed reduction initiative. He reported that some minimal measures will be taken, and more studies are planned. Bob solicited additional support from HPC members on this committee, and Margot Bohan volunteered her assistance.

Solicitation of resident input for the web house history initiative (in cooperation with webmaster Bill Saar) was discussed. The format for new information was reviewed. It will be clearly separated from the current posting attributed to the efforts of Clare Kelly. It was decided that new input will be shown under a heading entitled “Updates & Anecdotes.” Mimi Styles will provide Kathy Lehman with the text for a notice to be included in the April bulletin so that residents may be informed about this initiative.

Ed Mroczka reported on the oral histories project that his wife, Judy is spearheading. Two town residents, Carol Uhlendorf and Barbara Hawk, have thus far been interviewed. A “staff” of interviewers has been recruited and a list of potential interview candidates has been prepared. The project is off to a good start.

HPC supports and will pursue the placement of commemorative plaques. Doc Horan had initiated this idea for HPC’s consideration. A funding source will need to be identified.

The status of the Town Archivist was discussed, and it was decided that the HPC should ask for a report if she is considered to be still active in this position.

Bob Booher reported on his continuing efforts to mitigate the potential effects of the ICC. He has been in communication with the Secretary of Transportation’s PR consultant, to whom community input has been turned over. He attended a recent meeting, and again voiced the complaint that attention to community input is inadequate.

The HPC reviewed the question of the SHA Western Maintenance Facility being relocated from Casey 7 to Casey 6. A letter to the firm Michael Baker, Jr., Inc. will be prepared outlining the position of the HPC.

HPC agreed that funds equal to the amount included in last year’s budget should be contemplated for HPC in the upcoming year’s budget.

The next meeting will be on Tuesday April 17, 2007 at 7:30 pm.

The meeting was adjourned at 10:00 p.m.

Scroll Up