7 January 2015 | Approved: 4 February 2015
Chairman Challstrom called the meeting to order at 7:34 p.m. In attendance were commissioners Brenda Gumula, David Hix, John McClelland, Peter Nagrod, and Steve Werts. Also in attendance were Councilor Georgette Cole, HPC member Gail Littlefield and residents Joe Clark, John Lottes and Karen Lottes.
Approval of Agenda
John McClelland moved to approve the agenda. Steve Werts seconded the motion. Approved: 5-0.
Approval of the Minutes
Brenda Gumula moved to approve the December minutes. Peter Nagrod seconded the motion. Several changes were made. Approved: 5-0, as amended.
Nan Aitel-Thompson, a perspective buyer for 416 5th Avenue, came to ask about the placement of six (6) earth boxes in the yard on the front side of the home. They would be used for gardening. She and the Commission discussed the following:
- Property markers (there are none)
- Block corner markers
- House location survey (none exists)
- Difference between a boundary survey and a house location survey
If her offer is accepted, Nan will look into getting a survey. The Commission said her placement of earth boxes for gardening would be fine.
Building Permit Applications
- 402 Grove Avenue: The HPC reviewed the second set of drawings submitted by the homeowner. Peter Nagrod explained that all requirements were met. John McClelland moved to approve this building permit application for a change in the roof of an accessory building at 402 Grove Avenue using the 2nd set of drawings presented. Peter Nagrod seconded the motion. Vote: 5-0.
- 330 Ridge Road ‘ Chairman Challstrom referred the Commissioner Nagrod’s review of this project. For this application they agreed to treat this structure as an accessory building. Peter Nagrod moved to approve the building permit application for solar panels in the rear yard at 330 Ridge Road. John McClelland seconded the motion. Approved: 5-0.
Application for Zoning Text Amendment Filed by the Planning Commission
Chairman Challstrom reminded the Commission that items approved at the October meeting would not be re-approved at this meeting unless significant changes come forward. This came from Town attorney Suellen Ferguson. The votes are as follows:
- By general consensus, the Commission accepted the Town attorney’s re-number throughout.
- John McClelland moved to accept the definitions for "dwelling" and "dwelling unit" in Section 4.2. Brenda Gumula seconded the motion. Approved: 5-0
- John McClelland moved to approve the use of "family" in place of household in Section 4.2. Brenda Gumula seconded the motion. Approved: 5-0.
- John McClelland moved to accept the definition for "main building" with a change suggested by David Hix. The suggestion was to use "the main building" in place of "a main building". Steve Werts seconded the motion. Approved: 5-0.
- John McClelland moved to accept the definition for "off-site sign" for use in the Town Ordinances. Brenda Gumula seconded the motion. Approved: 5-0.
- Peter Nagrod moved to approve the use of "street line" in Section 4.2. Steve Werts seconded the motion. David Hix suggested the inclusion of a diagram with this term in order to provide clarity to the residents and their contractors. Approved: 5-0.
At this time, the Planning Commission considered comments from HPC Chair Bob Booher in reference to Section 5.32(c). The new language addressed the use of dormers when a first floor wall is non-compliant. Incorporation of this language would be a considered a significant change, however, after much discussion the Planning Commission declined to revise this section.
- John McClelland moved to accept the amended version of Section 2.113. Steve Werts seconded the motion. Approved: 5-0.
- Brenda Gumula moved to accept the amended version of Section 3.327. Steve Werts seconded the motion. Approved: 5-0.
- Peter Nagrod moved to accept the amended versions of Sections 6.321 and 6.323. John McClelland seconded the motion. Approved: 5-0.
- Peter Nagrod moved to accept ZTA2015-01 as amended and send it on to the Town Council. Brenda Gumula seconded the motion. Approved: 5-0.
Building Standards Compliance Checklist – Status Report
Brenda Gumula reported the group continues to work on completing the checklist for specific properties that are empty and/or up for sale. The original list of eight (8) homes with portions on Town land is completed. There was a discussion about appropriate methods of notifying residents regarding the availability of new property information.
Revision of "Information for Applicants for a Building Permit"
The Commission discussed the new process of having the HPC review on the front end. They struggled to establish an appropriate timeline. This discussion is to be continued.
John McClelland reported the following from the December meeting of the Town Council:
- The Permanent Easement application for 203 2nd Avenue is finished.
- Updating the website is going along according to plan. The contract with Marida Hines was accepted.
- The Town entered into a Memo of Understanding (MOU) with the Washington Grove United Methodist Church ‘trading’ snow plowing of the parking lot for prearranged use of the lot.
- PEPCO pole replacement project is underway.
Charlie Challstrom reported he is working on the annual report due to the State in March 2015.
The meeting was adjourned at 10:05 p.m.