11 March 2013 | Approved: 8 April 2013
Mayor Cole called the regular meeting of the Town Council to order at 7:30 p.m. In attendance were Councilors Joe Clark, Audrey Maskery, Joli McCathran, Bill Robertson, Greg Silber and David Young. Also present were Treasurer Mary Challstrom, Planning Commission Chairman Charlie Challstrom, Maintenance Supervisor Steve Werts, Outdoor Lighting Advisory Committee Chair Carolyn Rapkievian, guest Janice Okoomian and residents Ann Briggs, Ellsworth Briggs, Birgit Henninger and Dennis Kane.
Approval of Agenda
Joe Clark moved, Bill Robertson seconded that the agenda be approved. Mayor Cole added three (3) things to the agenda; Ordinance 2013-01 Comcast Franchise, Terms of Office, Update on Gun Control Resolution. Vote: 6-0.
Carolyn Rapkievian came to announce Earth Day on April 20, 2013 from 1:00 – 4:00 p.m. The planning is underway but more volunteers would be welcome. There will be kids’ activities.
Approval of Minutes
Bill Robertson moved, Audrey Maskery seconded that the Town Council minutes for February 11, 2013 be approved. There were three (3) small changes. Vote: 6-0.
- Bill Robertson moved, Audrey Maskery seconded that the Treasurer’s Report for February 2013 be accepted. The Treasurer fielded questions from the Council. Vote: 6-0.
- Treasurer Mary Challstrom reported that the recent State subdivision audit of 2010 State income tax receipts will recover $30,000 for the Town.
- Treasurers Report 2013-03 pdf
McCathran Hall Bid Openings
The Town received two (2) bids for the proposed repairs to McCathran Hall. Mayor Cole opened the bids.
C. R. Bennett Construction Company
$64,728.00 + $600.00 per man-day charge for work outside the scope; 20% material mark up for same.
Oak Grove Restoration Company
$54,700.00 + $590.00 per man-day charge for work outside the scope; 14% material mark up for same.
A discussion ensued. Some members of the Council were not clear about the language concerning the new roof. The Clerk will call both companies and ask about a tear-off and the type of shingles included in the bids.
Ordinance 2013-03; Comcast Franchise
Mayor Cole explained that this 15 year franchise agreement was negotiated by Montgomery County on our behalf. The agreement will expire in June of this year. A discussion ensued. Bill Robertson moved, Joe Clark seconded that Ordinance 2013-03; Granting a Cable Communications Franchise to Comcast Cable of Maryland, Inc. be introduced. Vote: 6-0. The Public Hearing will be on April 8, 2013.
Terms of Office
Mayor Cole explained that she would like to see Planning Commission and Historic Preservation Commission members’ terms end/begin in the month of June. She believes that this change would provide a cleaner, smoother transition each year. Mayor Cole asked for questions or objection. There were none.
Town Crest Development Update
Mayor Cole reviewed the recent hearings and discussed the current timelines for the decision-making process. She stated that, although the record will stay open for the receipt of two (2) items from the Town Crest attorneys and the response from the Washington Grove attorney, it is closed to communication from the public. She suggested that the Hearing date before the County Council may be a good time for people to go and hear the decision. Significant money is being spent on this issue.
- Joe Clark moved, David Young seconded that the February Council Reports be approved for posting on the Town website. Vote: 6-0.
- Town Council Reports – March 2013 pdf
- Deer Park Bridge Update – Mayor Cole reported that this work is moving slowly but percolating along. The question was asked if there might be a way to stop the extremely loud trains with turbine engines.
- Washington Grove Conservation Meadow Park Update: Mayor Cole directed members to Joli McCathran’s Council Report saying that it nicely covered the current status. There was a discussion about the posting of "No Hunting" signs on the property.
- Gun Control – Mayor Cole reported that she had received letters of support from Kirill Reznick and Chris Van Hollen. In addition, she received a phone call from Chris Van Hollen’s Chief of Staff stating that he was "cautiously optimistic" about the legislation.
- Bill Robertson reported that big, heavy trucks are using Grove Avenue for delivery of materials at 118. He will talk to the new residents (Davison) about the walkway use. Bill also reported that the WSSC work that was done in front of 118 Grove Avenue has caused a sink hole in the area. The Clerk will call WSSC about this problem.
- Joe Clark expressed his appreciation to Steve Werts and Bruce Rothrock for all of the in-house snow removal after the recent wet snow.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:00 p.m.