November is a time when many give thanks, and I am grateful for the many volunteers in Washington Grove. My appreciation goes especially to the Town Council, Planning Commission, and the Historic Preservation Commission. These volunteers really make our Town government work. Thank you!
There are many committees and groups who deserve accolades for their efforts:
- Board of Zoning Appeals who have a difficult but often unnoticed job.
- Forestry & Beautification Committee for their work in making our residential woods a joy to live within and monitors the health and maintenance of trees, shrubs and the general appearance of Town land in the residential area of Town.
- The Woods Committee for working so diligently in preserving and protecting our beloved woods by taking an integrated, well thought out approach to forest health restoration and management, thus providing protected habitat for plants and wildlife in a region of diminishing habitat, insuring we continue to live in A Town Within a Forest.
- The Emergency Preparedness Committee who are protecting all of us by preparing for events we hope never happen.
- The Recreation Committee who organize the special events and fun activities for residents through music, dances, holiday events, Summer in the Parks and delicious French fries.
- Board of Supervisors of Elections who run our election process and keep our democratic system healthy.
- Lake Committee for protecting our very special amenity, Maple Lake, as a recreational resource for Town residents. The lake is a wonderful refuge for all Town families.
- Dog Park Work Group who are working together to seek a dog park potential location while addressing relevant issues of land use, impact and zoning.
- Signage Group who are restoring and painting our unusual wooden street and walkway signs while
- ensuring better visibility.
- Washington Grove Cares who show the true spirit of being a caring community by connecting Town residents who might need assistance with residents who can provide help. This leads to a stronger community.
- The Film Group who bring to the Town special films and a special social time.
- The Web Site volunteers who keep us together via communication.
- Our Town employees for their dedicated work.
- And many unsung volunteers who work to make our Town a better place for all.
I want to thank you all for what you have done this year. You help create a thanksgiving mood year-round in Washington Grove.
Joli A. McCathran