/* The Divi child theme test */ Historic Preservation Commission Meeting Minutes December 2017 | Town of Washington Grove
301-926-2256 washgrove@comcast.net

19 December 2017 | Approved: 16 January 2018

Present: Bob Booher, Mimi Styles, Gail Littlefield, Wendy Harris and David Stopak. Councilor John Compton was not present as Town Council Liaison. The meeting began at 7:30 p.m. Bob Booher took minutes.

Approval of Agenda and Adoption of Minutes

The proposed agenda was modified and then adopted unanimously. Minutes for the November HPC meeting were reviewed and adopted.

Project Reviews

There were no projects to be reviewed.

Mayor’s Presentation

Joli McCathran provided information that is required of municipal bodies regarding open meetings and handling of requests for official information. The policy for MDPIA and FOIA is available online. Any formal requests for documents must go thru the Mayor, be in accordance with the “TWG Access to Public Records Policy”, and be a clear “benefit to the Town”.

National Register Nomination Proposals

Wendy and Gail reviewed the 3 proposals opened by the TC at their December meeting. The proposal from Robinson Associates indicates they are very qualified, have done both similar and significant work, addressed all the work items and had the lowest cost. It was agreed that the HPC would recommend the Town award the contract at the next TC meeting January 8, 2018. Wendy will contact all the firms once the TC awards the contract. It was also suggested that some of the work as it is developed be folded into the Masterplan update, and also provide content for the Bulletins.

15 the Circle Easement

Joli has sent the abridged version of Exhibit C to the town attorney for review. There was discussion regarding the disposition of the full version developed and approved in October. David strongly expressed concern that there be no reference to the longer version in the version to be included in the deed. Others expressed concern that the information would not be readily available to the parties in the agreement (Town and property owner) when an issue may come up in the future. It was agreed to remove the reference and to arrange for the full report to be filed with the House Histories and with the Easement records in the Town office. Several other minor revisions were approved and David agreed to execute the changes and send to Taunton, Joli, and Peter Nagrod.

Petition for sale of surplus property

The TC held a special meeting to take input from the Town regarding the petition filed September 27, 2017. As there was much input that protracted the meeting, the TC was unable to act and it was agreed to continue the meeting on January 4, 2018. David encouraged the HPC make a presentation at this meeting to summarize the advantages of the easement action versus sale of the property to the adjacent owners. Bob and David will prepare the presentation.

Signs

Gail reported that Susan VanNostrand and her group have completed almost 30 signs and has taken 14 with her to Florida to complete. Freda Temple is developing a tracking spreadsheet. Leigh Partngton will restore any artwork that is needed. The entrances to Town have been prioritized, though Gail noted that these are not routed and likely predate the routed ones.

Design Guidelines

Mimi reported that she and Pat will begin to meet again in January.

Council Report

There was no TC report.

PC Meeting Report

Bob reported that the Planning Commission agreed to move the required submission date for projects to land before the HPC meeting. Several projects were discussed related to work being done without required permits.

Bulletin Material

Wendy indicated that she and Pat were drafting some articles that portray how the Town came to be on the National Register of Historic Places. A piece on historic tax credits was also suggested.

Adjournment

The meeting was adjourned at 10:30 pm. The next meeting will be Tuesday, January 16, 2018, at 7:30pm in the McCathran Hall meeting room.

Scroll Up