4 February 2015 | Approved: 4 March 2015
Chairman Challstrom called the meeting to order at 7:32 p.m. In attendance were commissioners Brenda Gumula, John McClelland, Peter Nagrod, and Steve Werts. Also in attendance were Mayor Joli McCathran and resident Ralph Hurst. David Hix arrived at 7:50 PM.
Approval of Agenda:
Peter Nagrod moved to approve the agenda. Brenda Gumula seconded the motion. Approved: 5-0. Charlie Challstrom suggested moving the discussion of Ralph Hurst’s (409 Chestnut) top on his accessory structure to the #2 position and adding the following to #9; Budget Discussion, Joint Work Session topics, Block Corner Survey priorities and a general update to the permanent easement issue.
409 Chestnut Ave. – "Top" of Accessory Structure:
Ralph Hurst presented a package of information to the Commission. He then explained his history of the structure. A discussion about the following ensued:
- How the Town established his structure was partially on Town land
- The original structure
- The addition of the new top piece
- The hinge design which keeps the overhang to a minimum when not in use
- What to call the structure (both new and old)
- Dealing with the non-compliance at the time the property changes hands
- Equal enforcement Town-wide
- A retroactive building permit application
Chairman Challstrom stated the evidence of record is the iron pipes in the ground which he located. For this reason, he is confident about the back line where the encroachment exists. It was concluded there was no precedent for issuing a retroactive permit application. Any such permit would be denied because of the structure being partially on Town land. The Town relies on voluntary compliance and this structure will be added to the list on non-compliant properties.
Approval of the Minutes:
Brenda Gumula moved to approve the January minutes. John McClelland seconded the motion. A few changes were made. Approved: 5-0, as amended.
There were no public appearances.
Building Permit Applications:
There were no building permit applications.
Building Standards Compliance Checklist Status Report:
Work continues on this project. The group will complete The Circle and then start working on vacant properties. John McClelland asked about reaching out to property owners about the project. A new item will be written for the April Bulletin.
Revision of Information for Applicants for a Building Permit:
The Commission discussed and made changes to the draft dated 2/4/15. John McClelland moved to adopt the revised Rules for Building Permit Applications. Steve Werts seconded the motion. Approved: 5-0, as amended.
John McClelland reminded the Commission of the Public Hearing for Zoning Text Amendment 2015-01 on February 23, 2015 at 7:30 PM in McCathran Hall.
John McClelland reported meeting with Ed Roberts and surrounding property owners to discuss the current situation. The rope gate has been removed because of liability issues. Two (2) new posts will be installed. Mr. Roberts has been informed he will be responsible for the actions of his drivers.
- Budget Discussion The Commission discussed possible expenses for the coming year. Because of the construction that will happen at 203 2nd Avenue and access problems to surrounding properties, the Commission agreed cleaning up the alley area in Block 11 was a priority. The Commission will work on a survey priorities list for the coming year. Blocks 4 & 5 will be up for consideration after Block 11.
- Items for Joint Work Session The Commission agreed that the Railroad Street Improvement Plan should be discussed at the work session.
- Survey Discussion See Budget Discussion
The meeting was adjourned at 9:50 p.m.