8 April 2013 | Approved: 20 May 2013
Mayor Cole called the regular meeting of the Town Council to order at 7:32 p.m. In attendance were Councilors Joe Clark, Audrey Maskery, Joli McCathran, Bill Robertson, Greg Silber and David Young. Also present were Treasurer Mary Challstrom, Planning Commission Chairman Charlie Challstrom, residents Dennis Kane, Carolyn Rapkievian, Bruce Rothrock and Donna Shriner.
Approval of Agenda
Joe Clark moved, Audrey Maskery seconded that the agenda be approved. Mayor Cole added the introduction of Ordinance 2013-02; Ordinance to Amend Article IV, “Building Permit Regulations” to Modify the List of Structures for which Building Permits are not Required. Vote: 6-0.
Bruce Rothrock came to report that he has not done anything on the approved horseshoe pits. He will return to the Council when he has more to report.
Approval of Minutes
David Young moved, Joe Clark seconded that the Town Council minutes for March 11 & 25 (Budget Work Session) be approved. A few changes were made. Vote: 6-0, as amended.
- Greg Silber moved, Audrey Maskery seconded that the Treasurer’s Report for March 2013 be accepted. Joe Clark asked for clarity about legal expenses and consulting expenses. Vote: 6-0.
- Treasurers Report 2013-04 pdf
Jim Snyder (201 Maple Rd.) Address Change Request
Mayor Cole gave a brief history of the events that precipitated the request. The Mayor and Council reviewed Mr. Snyder’s request for an address change. They also reviewed the documentation submitted by the Planning Commission which concluded that a change of address would not change the designation of his front and rear yard. A discussion ensued. The Council concluded that based on historic precedent, previous decisions by the BZA and the PC, the current front would remain the front even if Mr. Snyder was granted an address change. For this reason the change request was denied. The Mayor and Council hope that Mr. Snyder will consider one of the options presented by the Planning Commission that are in compliance with the Town Ordinances. Joe Clark moved, Greg Silber seconded that the address change request submitted by Mr. Snyder be denied. Vote: 6-0.
Appointment of HPC Member to fill the term of Margot Bohan
Mayor Cole brought forth the appointment of Wendy Harris to fill the vacancy left by Margot Bohan.
Joli McCathran moved, Joe Clark seconded that the Mayor’s appointment of Wendy Harris be approved. Vote: 6-0.
Appointment of Board of Supervisors of Elections
Mayor Cole brought forth Betty Knight and Kristin Perry for re-appointment to the Board of Supervisors of Elections.
Joli McCathran moved, David Young seconded the Mayor’s appointment of Betty Knight and Kristin Perry be approved. Vote: 6-0.
Introduction of Ordinance 2013-02; Ordinance to Amend Article IV, "Building Permit Regulations" to Modify the List of Structures for which Building Permits are not Required
It was explained that this change came about because of a change to County ordinances which now require footers for decks of any size. The implementation of these changes will bring the Town Code more in line with modern safety standards. There was a discussion about the language in the document, particularly the convoluted language in Section 5(b) and the lack of a definition for a pergola. It was suggested that the Planning Commission review this language at a future meeting.
Joe Clark moved, Greg Silber seconded the introduction of Ordinance 2013-02. Vote: 6-0. The public hearing is set for June 10, 2013.
Finalize Proposed FY 2014 Budget
The Mayor and Council reviewed their copies of the proposed FY 2014 budget.
Joe Clark moved, Audrey Maskery seconded that the proposed FY 2014 budget be approved for presentation at the Annual Town Meeting on May 11, 2013. Vote: 6-0.
- Questions were asked concerning the strategy for maintenance of the clay tennis courts, the Reed Brothers property re-development plan and the new Town Public Ways and Property Permit that is now required by public utilities who are working on Town property.
- Greg Silber moved, Joe Clark second that the March Council Reports be approved for posting on the Town website. Vote: 6-0.
- Town Council Reports – April 2013 pdf
- Deer Park Bridge Update – Mayor Cole reported that the package for presentation at a Special Town Meeting is coming along.
- Town Crest Development: Mayor Cole reported that we are still waiting for the Hearing Examiner’s decision.
- Washington Grove Conservation Meadow Park Update: Mayor Cole reported that the roof of the new kiosk recently installed by M-NCPPC is producing a very bright reflection into the Leng’s home at 106 Ridge Road. Meadow Committee Chairman Ernie Kawasaki will bring this to the attention of the MD Parks Department.
- Mayor Cole reinforced the May Bulletin deadline stating that there is no wiggle room because of Town Charter requirements concerning when residents are to receive notice of the Town Meeting and the budget summary.
- Mayor Cole reported that our State legislators will attend the meeting on May 20, 2013 to report on the 2013 session.
- The Clerk asked the Council to consider approval of a Petty Cash Fund for the Town Office. A discussion about record keeping, current process and the potential for fraud ensued. The Council would like the Mayor, the Clerk and the Treasurer to sit down and discuss this issue. They will revisit it at a later date.
- Because Joe Clark’s term is ending, this was his last meeting. He stated that although he regrets the differences that occurred a couple of years ago, he still considers this a satisfying experience. He praised Mayor Cole and the Maintenance Staff. There were expressions of gratitude all around and some mention of Joe volunteering to serve on the Fire Board.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:08 p.m.