25 October 2010 | Approved: 8 November 2010
Mayor Anderson called the Public Hearing on Ordinance 2010-09: Ordinance To Authorize Acquiring The Legacy Open Space Property to order at 7:30 p.m. Resident Charlie Challstrom confirmed the need for this action referencing sections 21 and 22 of the Town Charter. There was no further comment. The Public Hearing was closed at 7:34 p.m.
Mayor Anderson called the regular meeting of the Town Council to order at 7:35 p.m. In attendance were Councilors Georgette Cole, Sylvie Favret, Ted Kelly, Joli McCathran and Bill Robertson. Also present were Treasurer Mary Challstrom and Town residents Charlie Challstrom, Paula Puglisi, Rico Sturniolo and Mike Voigt.
Approval of the Agenda
Georgette Cole moved, Bill Robertson seconded that the agenda be approved. Vote: 5-0.
Approval of Ordinance No. 2010-09; Ordinance To Authorize Acquiring The Legacy Open Space Property
Georgette Cole moved to approve Ordinance No. 2010-09. Ted Kelly seconded the motion. Vote: 5-0. Mayor Anderson administered the Oath of Office to Councilor Joli McCathran.
Introduction of Ordinance No. 2010-09: Authorizing Conveyance of Legacy Open Space Property
Mayor Anderson gave the background for this action and explained that the Town Charter requires that the acquisition of land be done by ordinance. The Public Hearing was set for October 25, 2010.
Georgette Cole moved to introduce Ordinance No. 2010-09. Bill Roberts seconded the motion. Vote: 6-0.
Mayor Anderson put forth the following names for re-appointment:
|Christine Dibble||Board of Zoning Appeals||3-years|
|Eric Gleason||Planning Commission||5-years|
|David Neumann||Historic Preservation Commission||3-years|
|Mimi Styles||Historic Preservation Commission||3-years|
Ted Kelly moved to approve the Mayor’s appointments. Sylvie Favret seconded the motion. Vote: 5-0.
Road Bid Opening
Mayor Anderson opened four (4) bids for road work in Town.
|Bidder||Road Work||Speed Humps||Totals|
|J.M. Kelley Paving||$31,550.00||$2,500.00||$33,320.00|
A discussion ensued.
Joli McCathran moved to accept the contract from A.B. Veirs. Georgette Cole seconded the motion. Vote: 5-0.
Rico Sturniolo referenced his e-mail of 3:30 p.m. this afternoon where he expressed his concerns about the speed humps on Ridge Road. He tore out his power steering and tie rods on the original set. He also thought that they were hard on and dangerous to children. The e-mail included a copy of Montgomery County’s regulations concerning speed humps as well. Rico also asked if the Town could do something to improve the by-pass at the Brown St./Hickory Rd. gate. It’s a very tight turn and the surface has become quite bumpy and dangerous. The Council thought that Town Maintenance could probably do something to improve the area.
Ted Kelly wondered if A.B. Veirs could make the speed humps into speed tables for that kind of money. There was more discussion about tables vs. humps.
At this time, Mayor Anderson announced that the at-grade crossing at Railroad and Oakmont was going to be closed for repairs starting tomorrow (10/26/10). The crossing would be closed for the remainder of the work-week. The Clerk will send out an e-mail to the Grove alert list and call those who don’t have e-mail.
Snow Removal Contract
After a discussion about last year’s performance and the preferred use of sand over salt, Bill Robertson moved to accept the snow removal agreement from Lion Contractors, Inc. Georgette Cole seconded the motion. Vote: 5-0.
- Georgette Cole asked for clarification of the terms “no report” vs. “nothing to report” in the Council Reports. “No Report” means nothing was turned in to the Mayor. “Nothing to Report” means just that. She asked that Councilors make note of the difference. There was a discussion about a winter list for Steve Werts which could include the following; new pole barriers in Woodward Park, additional landscape timbers installed at McCathran Hall, Furnace Room entrance repair, Town drainage, rebuild rock walls at some intersections and rebuild Town fireplace in Woodward Park.
- Town Council Reports – October 2010 pdf
- Deer Park Bridge Update: Mayor Anderson reported that he will meet with CSX during the week of November 8, 2010.
- LOS Condemnation Update: Mayor Anderson gave the Town Council and the Town Clerk a handout in order to help explain the settlement of the lawsuit should someone ask questions.
- Mayor Anderson announced that there will be a “Toast to the Field” this Friday at the field at 6:00 p.m.
- Casey 6 & 7: Mayor Anderson reported that there was nothing new on this issue. It will probably be left until the spring. Montgomery County is in the process of condemning the Roberts Oxygen land that they wish to purchase.
The Town Clerk announced that the recurring noise problem at 104 Maple Road is still going on. There was a brief discussion. The Mayor will pay them another visit.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:50 p.m.