15 June 2004 | Approved: 20 July 2004
HPC members present: Bob Booher, Chair, Chris Kirtz, Ed Mroczka, Bruce Rothrock, and David Neumann.
Public Work Session
Approved the Agenda. Discussed the following:
- Trescott will be contacted.
- Appleby Plans. Question of whether or not to ask Trescott to evaluate the historic contribution of the Luxford house at 115 Chestnut Ave as well as the Appleby (formerly Rynex) house at 112 Chestnut Ave.
- Neumann moved that we ask Trescott to evaluate both properties, Luxford as well as Appleby. We discussed sending a letter to each advising them of the plan to review the historic significance of their properties.
- Applicant’s information page for building permit was changed.
- Heritage committee was discussed.
John McClelland, Chair of the Planning Commission attended the HPC meeting. We discussed the changes in the ordinances and what was required of applicants when they submit a building permit to the Town.
Discussed proactive methods to gain early reviews by the HPC and the Planning Commission.
Resolved to check the Bulletin to see if we usually include a notice that we ask for early discussions with the PC and the HPC.
Discussed the possibility of a Washington Grove Building Permit Application Form.
Discussed meeting with the Planning Commission (joint meeting) – Question was raised: Does the PC have a time limit on the time it has to act on a permit application?
We discussed again, the question of asking the Town Attorney to come and talk with us about a variety of maters, liability, Historic district boundaries, our relationship with the State Historical Trust, etc. Should we meet jointly with the PC. How often? Once a year?
David Neumann was asked for ideas for questions to be asked of the Town Attorney.
We discussed the application to build an accessory building at 102 Center St. Essentially, the order of the process was: approval from the Town HPC and PC, then approval from County. Next a decision was made to install a basement under the structure with an exterior entrance (Bilco exterior door). Thus the question arose whether, when a modification that affects the exterior of a structure or its footprint, should the application be reviewed again with the HPC and or the PC.
Other questions arose, such as how does the Town get back an archival copy of the plans and permit application after a change has been made. The ordinances now request the applicant to return a copy of the approved plans and application to the Town office.
Discussed if a stamp on all pages of the plans is needed or just certain pages.
We concluded that someone on the PC needs to look at changes and if they affect the exterior, then the PC should let the HPC know.
Need a statement on the application form that states that if there are any changes to the plans then applicant should resubmit the plans to the Town.
Chris suggested that the Planning Commission could look at the resubmitted final plans and, if they were substantially the same, then the plans would not go back to the HPC.
Lingering Issues Discussed.
- Getting the reviews to Bill Saar. David Neumann said he would get that completed.
- Budget for the HPC. Have we asked the mayor for specific budget amount and do we have a line in the budget?
- Design Guidelines. Discussion postponed
- Procedures. Neumann said he needed more time for this. He would have time after August 9.
- Rules for the Archive. Bob said he would call Missy.
Public Review Session
- Reviewed plans for garage at 411 Chestnut Ave.
- Reviewed plans for shed at 111Chestnut Ave.
Public Work Session (continued)
The minutes of the previous meeting were discussed and approved subject to changes to be made by Neumann.
Archives were discussed. Do other people have material for the archives? Clare Cavicchi has offered to let the Town copy her notes and records on the individual houses. She would also like the description of the House histories to be updated to reflect the authorship of the material.
Discussed letter to the Board of Zoning Appeals regarding the Stopak/Winkler residence and the application to build a rear porch 12 feet wide.
The Commission examined the calendar. The next regular meeting will be held on July 20, 2004 at 7:30 pm. The chair moved that we adjourn.
The meeting was adjourned at 10:55 p.m.