6 July 2011 | Approved: 3 August 2011
The meeting was called to order at 7:30 p.m. In attendance were Commissioners Samantha Beres, Charlie Challstrom, Joe Clark, Brenda Gumula, Peter Nagrod and Steve Werts.
Election of Chairman
Brenda Gumula moved to elected Charlie Challstrom as the new chair of the Commission. Samantha Beres seconded the motion. Approved: 6-0.
Approval of Agenda
Samantha Beres moved to approve the agenda. Charlie Challstrom seconded the motion. The Lanier Auto Sales business (211 Ridge Rd.) and the Lottes Observatory (330 Ridge Rd.) were added under Other Business. The agenda was approved as amended. Approved: 6-0.
Approval of the Minutes
Peter Nagrod moved to approve the minutes from June 1, 2011. Steve Werts seconded the motion. Approved: 6-0.
There were no public appearances.
Building Permit Applications:
- 110 Grove Ave. – The PC is still waiting for the set of County approved plans. Charlie Challstrom will call John McClelland to ask about the plans and about his recent complaints. The Commission discussed the benefits of composing a template-type letter to address residents when applications are incomplete. It is thought that this type of letter will help with consistency and equal treatment.
Deer Park Bridge Update
Charlie Challstrom reported that Snider & Associates placed Town survey monuments near the Deer Park Bridge in an effort to clearly mark Town corners (see exhibit A). He also made reference to the letter that was sent to CSX and Montgomery County about the State Article 66B requirement to present changes to our Planning Commission for review. A discussion ensued. Charlie urged the Commission to read and familiarize themselves with sections of the Town Master Plan pertaining to the bridge and the surrounding area.
Report from Town Council
Joe Clark reported that the Mayor and Council discussed Casey 6 & 7 plans. Part of the plan involves the County giving Roberts Oxygen a strip of land along the railroad tracks presumably in exchange for the piece of land near Brown Street that is necessary to make the area large enough for the plan to work. This presents a concern in terms of driveway access for Roberts Oxygen. Joe also reported that the new tennis fence project is underway and will be completed soon.
- Lanier Auto Sales – Charlie Challstrom reported that Mayor Cole asked the Commission for help in understanding what violations, if any, were occurring at this property. A discussion ensued. The Commission will stay on alert for any violations but, to date, nothing has been regularly observed.
- Lottes Observatory – This structure will be treated like an accessory building. It will require a permit and must be properly located on the property. Peter Nagrod volunteered to talk to the property owner. There was a brief mention of a Temporary Use Permit.
- Peter Nagrod asked what the Commission’s responsibilities were in terms of enforcement. A discussion ensued.
- Charlie Challstrom indicated that it may be time for the Commission to update its rules and procedures. Both Articles IV and V in the Code of Ordinances need some attention. Charlie thanked the Commission and said that he was happy to be on board again. His main goal is to strive for consistency.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:24 p.m.