12 February 2007 | Approved: 26 February 2007
Mayor John Compton called the regular meeting of the Town Council to order at 7:56 p.m. In attendance were Councilors Darrell Anderson, Georgette Cole, Kathie Evans, Betsy Klinger, and David Stopak. Also present were; Maintenance Supervisor Jim Fletcher, Treasurer Mary Challstrom, Charlie Challstrom, George Paine, John Tomlin, and Pastor Judy Young.
Judy Young brought flyers about and event at the Washington Grove United Methodist Church. She also asked about the procedure for the Town to take a stand on moral issues in the world such as torture. Judy will e-mail Kathie Evans to discuss this.
Approval of Minutes
Darrell Anderson moved, Georgette Cole seconded that the Town Council minutes of January 8, 2007 be approved as amended. Vote: 5-0.
Jim Fletcher reported that the tree mentioned in his written maintenance report (in the circle on Locust Lane) was taken down today. This was a good decision as it was discovered that the tree was hollow starting at ground level and going up about 8 feet. Jim also explained the process for repairing/replacing street signs.
David Stopak moved, Kathie Evans seconded, that the Treasurer’s report for January be accepted. There was a discussion about legal expenses, website expenses, and water bills. Vote: 5-0.
- Casey 6 & 7 Update – Mayor Compton reported that the State Highway Administration wanted to put the Western Maintenance Facility for the Inter-County Connector on one of these sites. M-NCPPC, Shady Grove Master Plan, the Town of Washington Grove, and the property owner all oppose this idea.
- School Reservation Update – Mayor Compton reported that the school reservation for the property adjacent to the LOS Field will be dropped by the Montgomery County Public School System. This is contrary to the Shady Grove Area Master Plan.
- Piedmont Crossing Phase I Update – Mayor Compton reported that the Montgomery County Department of Permitting Services has approved the storm water management for this changed site plan. M-NCPPC will oppose this action because of the proposed treeless drainage trench along Ridge Road. The Mayor also reported that there was an issue with the recharge of area wetlands as well. The site plan has not been approved.
Legacy Open Space Field Condemnation
Mayor Compton reported that representatives from M-NCPPC and the Town met and agreed to pursue a way for the Town to have a say in all future use of the property by way of attaching a legal document to the land. At least two (2) of the requirements would be that the Town had recourse not subject to Board approval and that the Town would maintain the field. The Mayor also reported that both the Town and M-NCPPC had filed motions to summary judgment. The field must be dedicated in June 2007.
Disposition of ZTA2006-03 & ZTA2006-04
David Stopak moved to withdraw Ordinance No. 2006-03 because it is no longer considered an optional method of development for the entire Town. Darrell Anderson seconded the motion. Vote: 5-0. Kathie Evans moved to withdraw Ordinance No. 2006-04 because it is no longer considered an optional method of development for the entire Town. Georgette Cole seconded the motion. Vote: 5-0.
Discuss Scheduling a Second Monthly Town Council Meeting
A 2nd meeting was scheduled for the 26th of February. This meeting will be announced in the Bulletin and on the Town website. The agenda for February 26, 2007 will include but won’t be limited to the following:
- Council Reports
- Permit Notification Process
- Commercial Corner
- Cator Property Annexation
- Condemnation Status
- Site Plan Update
Kathie Evans moved to recess at 10:00 p.m. and reconvene on February 26, 2007. Betsy Klinger seconded the motion. Vote: 5-0.
The meeting was adjourned at 10:00 p.m.