8 February 2010 | Approved: 8 March 2010
Mayor Anderson called the regular meeting of the Town Council to order at 7:35 p.m. In attendance were Councilors Charlie Challstrom, Joe Clark, Georgette Cole, Marida Hines and Sylvie Favret. Also present were Treasurer Mary Challstrom and Pastor Judy Young.
Approval of the Agenda
Joe Clark moved, Georgette Cole seconded that the agenda for February 8, 2010 be approved. Charlie Challstrom requested the addition of a contingency plan for emergency snow plowing as #9 on the agenda.
Pastor Judy Young came to announce the upcoming events at the Washington Grove United Methodist Church.
Approval of Minutes
Charlie Challstrom moved, Joe Clark seconded that the Town Council minutes for January 11, 2010 be approved. Vote: 5-0.
Georgette Cole moved, Marida Hines seconded that the Town Council minutes for January 25, 2010 be approved. Vote: 5-0.
There was a brief discussion about legal expenses and snow removal costs. Joe Clark moved, Georgette Cole seconded that the Treasurer’s report for January 2010 be accepted. Vote: 5-0.
Approval of January 2010 Council Reports for Posting on the Website
Charlie Challstrom moved, Georgette Cole seconded that the Council Reports from January 2010 be approved for posting on the Town website. Vote: 5-0.
Nominations Discussion – Continued
Joe Clark suggested that this discussion be broken down into three (3) parts; write-ins, absentee ballots and nominations. The discussion ensued. The results are as follows;
- Write-ins – can be accepted, cannot win unless he/she is a qualified voter, every vote will be announced.
- Absentee Ballot – will have the Town seal, additional controls will be put in place to be sure that the ballots are processed according to specific procedures.
- Nominations – promote it in the Town Bulletin and other places; ask for help from former Mayors and Town Councillors.
Proposed Information Session – Planning/Discussion
The proposed session will be on March 11th and hosted by the Council. Joe Clark will head this effort. There was a discussion about the involvement of all committee chairs, commission chairs and board chairs. The focus would be on how to get involved in the workings of the Town.
Contingency Plan for Emergency Snow Plowing
This discussion came about because the sides of Town roads were already piled high with snow and more was in the forecast. The decision was made to prioritize which roads to plow first. The entrances at Grove & Railroad, Ridge & Railroad, Hickory & Railroad and McCauley & Washington Grove Lane will be cleared first. Chestnut & Railroad may not be done because it is too dangerous. Grove to McCauley to Washington Grove Lane for the first pass with the plow was discussed. Emergency vehicles are the first priority and total resident use will be second. The Clerk will call the school system to be sure that our roads have been assessed by their people.
- Casey 6 & 7 Update – Mayor Anderson reported that a meeting has been scheduled for February 23, 2010, here in McCathran Hall.
- LOS Condemnation Update – nothing to report.
- Deer Park Bridge – Mayor Anderson reported that he and others met with Gaithersburg officials last week. Gaithersburg is fine with all of the options with the exception of removing the bridge. They stated that they will not oppose lowering the tracks. The Mayor also reported that Senator Cardin wants the Town to get Montgomery County officials to approve the track lowering option and schedule a meeting to address the MARC commuter concerns.
Marida Hines mentioned that the idea of streamlining communications to residents without using the Yahoo listserve is still in the works. Discussions continue.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:20 p.m.