13 June 2011 | Approved: 11 July 2011
Mayor Cole called the regular meeting of the Town Council to order at 7:34 p.m. In attendance were Councilors Joe Clark, Sylvie Favret, Audrey Maskery, Joli McCathran, Alice Negin and Bill Robertson. Also present were Treasurer Mary Challstrom and residents Charlie Challstrom and Bruce Rothrock.
Approval of Agenda
Audrey Maskery moved to approve the agenda. Alice Negin seconded the motion. Mayor Cole added Resolution No. 2011-06; Authorization to Approve the Ninth Amended and Restated Local Government Insurance Trust Agreement and Mary Challstrom suggested moving the Budget Transfers to a spot after the Council Reports. The agenda was approved as amended. Vote: 6-0.
There were no public appearances.
Approval of Minutes
Joe Clark moved, Sylvie Favret seconded that the Town Council minutes for May 9, 2011 be approved with one (1) minor change. The minutes were approved as amended. Vote: 6-0.
Joe Clark moved, Alice Negin seconded that the Town Council minutes for May 23, 2011 be approved. Vote: 6-0.
- Alice Negin moved, Sylvie Favret seconded that the Treasurer’s Report for May be accepted. Vote: 6-0. Treasurer Mary Challstrom made note of a few last minute changes and she also explained that debt incurred in June and paid in July will be counted as an expense in fiscal year 2011. Joe Clark asked for a summary of the 2011 expenses and donations for the LOS Field.
- Sylvie Favret moved, Bill Robertson seconded the motion to transfer funds from savings to checking in order to pay bills. Vote: 6-0.
- There was also a discussion about changes in the worker’s compensation insurance requirements. They no longer require coverage for the entire Town Council and Mary asked if we should stop paying for this coverage. A discussion ensued.
- Joli McCathran moved to cease paying for coverage of the entire Council for one (1) year upon which time this decision will be reviewed. Sylvie Favret seconded the motion. Vote: 6-0.
- Treasurers Report 2011-07 pdf
Financial Management Presentation
Treasurer Mary Challstrom passed out some handouts to help with the presentation. She explained and answered questions about the Town budgeting process.
Mayor Cole announced Eric Gleason’s resignation as Chairman of the Planning Commission. A discussion about his replacement ensued.
Joli McCathran moved to approve Charlie Challstrom as a full member of the Planning Commission. Alice Negin seconded the motion. Vote: 6-0.
- Alice Negin made a change to the McCathran Hall expenditures number because the floor did not get refinished during this fiscal year.
- There was also a discussion about the website and a Google calendar.
- Joe Clark asked to discuss the completion of the tennis court fence. Steve Werts presented some ideas for moving some budget money around. Mary Challstrom suggested moving $7,500 from Parks to Recreation and $10,000 from Tree Removal to Recreation to cover the cost of the fencing. There was a discussion about the Woodward Park barriers, remaining tree work and budget transfers.
- Sylvie Favret stated that the Lake Committee, the Woods Group and Town Maintenance seem to be having a communication problem. She went on to say that the Lake Committee wants to have more input in terms of the maintenance of the lake area. Mayor Cole explained that the recent work that had been done at the lake was done under John Hutchinson’s supervision. All of the work that was done was recommended by consultant John Mudre. She went on to suggest that the communication problem may be within the group. Two (2) Lake Committee members (Birgit Henninger and Bruce Rothrock) stated that everything was clarified at a special Lake Committee meeting last week.
- Joe Clark moved to approve the Council Reports, as amended, and post to the website. Bill Robertson seconded the motion. Vote: 6-0.
- Town Council Reports – June 2011 pdf
Joe Clark moved to approve Resolution No. 2011-05; Budget Transfers FY 2011(2) as amended. Audrey Maskery seconded the motion. Vote: 6-0.
McCathran Hall Rental Policy – Review New Rules
The Mayor and Council discussed the changes to #8 and #9, the Life Safety Code, Town use vs. Rental use and booming bass sounds. One administrative change was made. The words “use and” were removed from the title of the document.
- Deer Park Bridge Update: The Mayor stated that Ann Briggs agreed to chair this committee and be the liaison to the Town Council.
- Casey 6 & 7: Mayor Cole met with the County about this property last week. Roberts Oxygen has recently agreed to sell land to the County which will make Casey 6 large enough for the planned service park relocation. The County expects to break ground for the new facility in July. A discussion about the June 23rd mandatory referral, the placement of the salt barns, the bike path, the day-laborer center, the Roberts Oxygen driveway permit revocation, the strip of land beside the RR tracks and the natural gas fueling stations ensued.
- Joe Clark moved to adopt Resolution No. 2011-06. Sylvie Favret seconded the motion. Vote: 6-0.
- Sylvie Favret asked about new signage at McCauley St. and Washington Grove Lane. The Clerk will order these.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:52 p.m.