The Washington Grove Woman’s Club
There will be no May Flower Show this year As we continue to Stay at Home with COVID-19, our Club and the Town are facing a May without our Annual Flower Show. Hopefully by next year this will be behind us and we will again celebrate spring together.
June Progressive Porch Party
No decision has been made yet about whether we will be able to hold our Annual Progressive Porch Party, but we should have an answer by the June newsletter.
Project Linus and the Maskmakers
Our Work from Home Project Linus has been most successful. We’ve had donations of crocheted, knitted and fleece throws and blankets! These will go to help give some security, warmth and comfort to children in foster care or who are seriously ill or traumatized. While Project Linus will be ongoing, recently our sewers put aside blankets to help make masks for those in Town who need them. We co-sponsored the Maskmakers Project with Washington Grove Cares.
We’re Working on the new Town Directory
As a reminder, we’re still collecting updated information for our 2020 to 2022 Town Directory. The forms are periodically emailed to the Listserv, you can pick up one up from the Town Office or contact Marilynn Frey at [email protected] If you have not filled out yours yet, please fill one out as soon as possible and email it, mail it or drop it off at the Town Office, so that we can publish the new Directory this spring.
In this time of many unknowns for our local businesses, selling the ads that support our Directory will be particularly difficult. If you have a business or you have contacts with businesses, please contact Marilynn Frey ([email protected]) to get a signup form. Most businesses provide a simple business card.
After the Quarantine Ends, You Can Rent Our Clubhouse!
Once life returns to normal, this historic clubhouse will be available for rent to Town residents from mid-March to mid-December. It’s ideal for parties, showers, wedding receptions, meetings or other such events. Our rates are reasonable, and members of the Club receive a significant discount. For more information about this lovely facility, please contact Cynthia Werts (301-926-1668) or Joli McCathran (301-869-5358).
Joining the Woman’s is easy
The Woman’s Club dues are a modest $15 per year and can be paid at any event, or by sending a check to The Woman’s Club of Washington Grove, to PO Box 354, Washington Grove, MD 20880.
Your dues make it possible for us to support Town programs such as The Summer In the Parks, the Acorn Library and the Holiday Show. They also let us host our annual Town events like the January White Elephant Sale, the February Chili Supper, Project Linus, the Spring Egg Hunt, the May Flower Show, the June Progressive Porch Party, the September Pot Luck Supper and guest speakers. Plus, all year-round we collect for our Community Outreach programs.
For the Washington Grove Elementary School
This outreach project has been on hold while the school is closed and students are doing online classes, we hope that by fall, we will again need to fill the closet, gather coats and bring music to the students.
- The Teachers Closet – We collect school supplies all year round for the Teachers Closet. Our aim is to keep it filled with things like glue sticks, pencils and sharpeners, paper, hand sanitizers and tissues, and other supplies. Without our help, teachers will all too often end up buying these things out of their own pockets.
- Winter Coats, Hats, Scarves and Gloves – We try to keep the Teachers Closet filled with winter coats, hats, scarves and gloves so that no child goes without through the bitter winter months.
- Bringing Music to the Students – This Fall, the school asked us to help ensure that all children can participate in the Music Programs. We are hoping to donate resin, reeds, instruction books and other necessities for a successful instrumental music program. Checks should be made out to the Woman’s Club and marked for donation to the WGES Music Program.
Working with Interfaith Works for the Children
As the less fortunate children, like the rest of us, must stay at home, the need for things to brighten their lives is even greater.
- Small Gifts – While the less fortunate children of our County need essentials, they also need occasional treats in their lives, and we help provide these by collecting Birthday Presents and small Treasure Chest items to be distributed through Interfaith works.
- Much Needed New Underwear – There is always a need for new underwear for boys and girls from toddlers to teens. We have developed sources for purchasing the underwear, so the easiest way to help with this need is through money donations.
White Socks and Toiletries for Area Shelter
The small, travel sized toiletries from hotels are always needed by shelter residents, and we collect and distribute them. Also, winter is hard enough for the homeless without them going without socks! We continue to collect new white socks.
Where to Bring Your Donations
Whatever pulls at your heart strings, we have a need you can fulfill. Even though our Clubhouse is currently closed for the winter, we have bins on the porch to collect for our Community Outreach Programs, or you can drop off your contributions in the painted can on Wendy Weisbard’s porch at 119 Grove Road. You bring them and we’ll sort where they go! Checks are always appreciated too, just put in the memo field if you want your donation to go to a specific project and mail to The Woman’s Club, PO Box 354, Washington Grove, MD 20880.