This Special Town Meeting took place in accordance with the Town Council motion of June 30, 2021 for the purpose of presentation of the Shared Use Pathway Connection Report to Town residents.
- The meeting began at 10:35 a.m. with over 100 connected devices and about 130 attending.
- The proposed Agenda was adopted.
- The Shared Use Pathway Connection Task Force then presented a slideshow summarizing findings from their Report that they delivered to the Town Council and Town residents on November 8th. The Task Force then responded to meeting participants’ questions about the Report.
- The Mayor then opened the meeting to additional business.
- The following motion was made at the outset:
Resolved, it is the position of the registered voters here that:
1. Lower Brown Street is the preferred location for the Washington Grove Connector; and
2. The Town Council should ask the County to continue studying Option 1 as a future safe and attractive secondary path and connection.
[…Earlier the Mayor had reminded participants that in the event of a vote, the outcome would serve as a “sense of the meeting” and would not be binding upon the Town Council or Mayor…]
- Two and a half hours of discussion followed, during which meeting participants addressed the assembly with statements about the pathway connection options and the merits of the motion.
- The motion passed, 92 in favor, 24 opposed.
There was no further business proposed and the meeting was adjourned at 2:33 p.m. A big thank you to all who participated.
A Town Council vote is expected on this topic on December 13.