301-926-2256 [email protected]

Town Council News

Next meeting: Monday  »  08.14.06 @ 7:30 p.m. in Council Room.
The public is invited to attend.

Actions at the July Council meeting included:
Charlie Challstrom appointed to the Board of Zoning Appeals
Bob Evans re-appointed to the Planning Commission.
Bob Booher and Chris Kirtz re-appointed to the Historic Preservation Commission.

Volunteers Needed…

The Mayor and Council are seeking volunteers to fill two (2) open positions. Both the Board of Zoning Appeals and the Planning Commission are looking for an alternate. Interested parties should call Mayor John Compton at 301-330-8264.

A second volunteer is needed to serve on the Gaithersburg/Washington Grove Fire Board. The minimum commitment is one meeting per month (usually 30 minutes long) every 3rd Thursday at 4:00 p.m.. Interested parties should call Mayor Compton 301-330-8264.

Planning Commission News

Next meeting: Wednesday  »  08.02.06 @ 7:30 p.m. in Council Room.
The public is invited to attend.

Building Permits

If you are going to erect a building or structure (including fences), make structural alterations to, or move any existing building or other structure, you must first obtain a building permit from the Washington Grove Planning Commission. The Town zoning ordinance governs setbacks, lot coverage and height. Applications are available at the Town Office at 301-926-2256. The permit fee is $10.00, payable to the Town of Washington Grove. Interior renovations, which involve electrical, plumbing, or load-bearing changes, generally require a County permit. A shed requires a County permit as well. The Town must first sign off all applications for County-required building permits. The Historic Preservation Commission will review most permits as well.

Building permits were issued for the following:
206 Grove Ave.  »  Addition

Historic Preservation News

Next meeting: Tuesday  »  08.16.05 @ 7:30 p.m. in Council Room.
The public is invited to attend.

Neighborhood Watch News

Report Crimes & Suspicious Activity!
Mont. Co. Police non-emergency: 301-279-8000
Town Office: 301-926-2256
Betsy Klinger: 301-977-3517
Keith Gillis/Leigh Partington: 301-208-1437

Incident Report (2 months):
May 16: Theft. 100 block McCauley St – (About 11a.m.) Forced entry and property taken. Reported to police.
May 17: Theft. 10 block Maple Avenue – (8:20 a.m. – noon) Break-in and theft of medication. Suspect possibly had a key. Reported to police.
June 11: Speeding. 100 block of Oak Street – Driver of a black car replied with hostility when a startled pedestrian pointed out the speed limit.
June 16: Vandalism. Maple Lake – Police cars and a fire truck were summoned to the lake entrance to apprehend some kids who had set a small fire.
June 17: Vandalism. 100 block of Washington Grove Lane – Flowers stolen from plants in the yards of two residents.
June 17: Attempted Break-in. Unit block of Daylily Lane – (Around 3 a.m.) Suspect was scared away by a resident who then called the police. Lower window screens were slashed and an upstairs window was broken. No arrest.
June 23: Theft. 100 block of Pine Ave – Unlocked van was ransacked and a graphing calculator was stolen.

With recent reports of rabid animals in the Gaithersburg area, here is some helpful information to help identify sick animals. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says that animals with rabies may act differently than healthy animals. Wild animals may move slowly or act tame. There are two common types of rabies. One type is “furious” rabies. Animals with this type are hostile, may bite at objects and have an increase in saliva. In the movies and in books, rabid animals foam at the mouth. In real life, rabid animals look like they have foam in their mouth because they have more saliva. The second and more common form is known as paralytic or “dumb” rabies. An animal with “dumb” rabies is timid and shy. It often rejects food and has paralysis of the lower jaw and muscles.

Signs of rabies in animals include:
changes in an animal’s behavior
general sickness
problems swallowing
an increase in drool or saliva
wild animals that appear abnormally tame or sick
animals that may bite at everything if excited
difficulty moving or paralysis

Recreation Committee News

Next meeting: Wednesday  »  07.26.06 @ 7:30 p.m. in Council Room.
The public is invited to attend.
Ballroom Dancing for the Younger Set

The Recreation Committee will sponsor ballroom dancing for young people at McCathran Hall in September. The dates are Sept. 8, 15, 29 & Oct. 6 from 7:30 – 9:00p.m.. The instructor is our own David Rapkievian. A dance party and/or dance instruction for adults is also under consideration. For more information call Meredith Horan at 301-926-1054.

Special Thanks…

Because of the work of many volunteers, a good time was had by all on the 4th of July. This year’s crowd was bigger that ever. Thank you to all who helped with our great celebrations!

Woman’s Club News

Next meeting: Thursday  »  08.17.06 @ 7:30 p.m. in Clubhouse.

Games Night!

We’ll have board games available or you can bring your favorite to share. A bridge table will be available for interested players. Please join us for some spirited competition and conversation.

New Trash Contractor, New Councilor, New Trash Day!!

Our new trash/recycling contractor is Montgomery County Sanitation & Recycling. The Councilperson in charge of the contract is Kathie Evans. Reporting misses on the Yahoo Listserve will not get your trash or recycling picked up. All complaints and missed pickups should be directed to Kathie Evans at 301-869-7816 or [email protected]


Brush Pickup? Or No Brush Pickup…

The issue of Town Maintenance picking up brush is not a new one. However, the massive amounts that are being left for Town Maintenance to pick up ARE new. The Mayor and Council would like to urge residents to let our trash contractor do your brush collection. We currently pay our refuse/recycling contractor to collect our brush. This is built into the contract and we pay for it whether the service is used or not. So, you are essentially double paying when Town Maintenance collects brush. Until otherwise notified, please consider the trash contractor as your first choice for brush removal and Town Maintenance as your fall-back. Guidelines for collection by our contractor are as follows:
Bag it! Place leaves, grass, bush and other yard trimmings in large brown paper bags available at grocery and home improvement stores.
Can it! Use reusable containers such as trash cans with appropriate stickers or marked “recycling”.
Bundle it! Brush can be tied in bundles not larger than 30″ in diameter, 4′ in length with individual pieces not to exceed 4″ in diameter

Changes In Areas of Responsibility

Linda Baim is now responsible for Maple Lake and Kathie Evans is covering contracts and the website. Residents are reminded that questions and concerns about Town maintenance should be directed to David Stopak 301-330-6446.
See Town Officials & Committees for more information.

Clerk’s Corner

The Town Office will be closed August 8 – 18. It will re-open on August 21st.
Summer In The Parks is in full swing. Please watch your speed and your stops. Thanks!

Translate »