/* The Divi child theme test */ 122 Grove Avenue | Town of Washington Grove
301-926-2256 washgrove@comcast.net

Lot and Block » Lot 26 & pt 25, Block 4 Old Lots 28 & 29, Block A
Name »
Built » c. 1883-5
Built by »
Style »
Owner(s) » J. W. Wade – original George Thomas Woodward, by 1886 (#19) Helen M. Wood, 9 August 1889 (lot 25 #169); 5 July 1905 (lot p 25 #661) Alfred Wood, 1896 (JA 55: 169 & 171); 20 August 1889 (#170) Herbert L. Davis, 15 June 1909 (lots 26, p25 #727) William E. & Jenny B. Wachter, by 1946 Florence B. Hall (liber 1844 folio 512) George C. & E. K. Frantz, 14 October 1964 (liber 3280 folio 193) Nils E. & Margaret M. Erickson, 6 July 1971 (liber 4090 folio 383)
Remarks » House appears on 1886 plat. The southern portion of lot 25 was used as a cross-through from 1905 into the early 1960s. Herbert L. Davis was referee and Auditor-in-Charge of the old Supreme Court of the District of Columbia from 1915 to 1931. He was later an instructor at the National University Law School. Mrs. Alfred Wood protested use of adjacent lot (now 118 Grove Avenue) as tennis court and baseball field (1896-1904).
Sources » Edwards, p. 91, 207-208; 1886 plat of Grove Avenue; Record of Leases, 1883-1906; tax records; Assessment records; 1946 tax list; Register of Stock Certificates; Shantz p. 75; Association minutes 18 May 1896, 24 June 1896, 1 June 1897 and 12 March 1904.

Scroll Up