/* The Divi child theme test */ Town Council Meeting Minutes November 2002 | Town of Washington Grove
301-926-2256 washgrove@comcast.net


11 November 2002 | Approved: 9 December 2002

Mayor John Compton called the meeting of the Town Council to order at 7:34 p.m. In attendance were Mayor John Compton, Councilors Darrell Anderson, Betsy Klinger, Peggy Odick, David Stopak, John Tomlin and Treasurer, Mary Challstrom. Also present were Dodie Tippens, Ann Briggs, Charlie Challstrom and John McClelland, Planning Commission Chairman.

Public Appearances

Dodie Tippens requested that the Town look into the posting of a " Deer Crossing " sign on Railroad Street. It was also mentioned that the Town should look into speed humps for Railroad Street. Peggy Odick will call the Department of Public Works and Transportation. Ann Briggs reported that the Mousetrap Concert Series will probably break even and asked for continued support from the Council in the next fiscal year for the series. Ms. Briggs needed to get a supportive nod from the Council, even if the costs were a bit higher ($6,500.00 was mentioned) in order to start lining up performers for the next season. The general sense of the Council was yes.

Approval of Minutes

Peggy Odick moved, David Stopak seconded, that the Town Council minutes of October 14, 2002 be approved as amended. Vote: 5-0.

Treasurer’s Report

Peggy Odick moved, Betsy Klinger seconded, that the Treasurer’s report be accepted. Vote: 6-0.

Program Open Space

Treasurer Mary Challstrom and Town Clerk Kathy Lehman reported on the history of the program as it relates to the use of Woodward Park by non-residents. The research shows that we are well within our rights to continue and/or tighten our policy on permitted uses of the soccer field. Dodie Tippens said that speeding was a big problem. A discussion ensued concerning noise, trash and bad behavior. John McClelland stated that it all boils down to enforcement. There was more discussion about permits, signs and uses during bad weather. Jim Fletcher and Nick Suzich will be consulted about signage.

Mayor’s Announcements

Mayor Compton announced the following;

  • The Nagem wood business (104 Maple Road) is a non-conforming home-based business. Mayor Compton posted a Stop Work Order on October 24, 2002 with a 10-day deadline. The next step will be a call to the Fire Marshall by the Town Clerk to explore the fire hazard route with this issue.
  • A meeting with the Harrison’s (Cator Property) is still in the works.
  • The Shady Grove Charrette on November 6th was informative and well attended. The focus of this meeting was the area within a ½ mile radius of the Shady Grove Metro Station.
  • Mayor Compton and resident Ned Helme met with County Council member Phil Andrews to express the Town’s concern about the " fast track " on which the Deer Park Bridge project was placed. Mr. Andrews suggested that an alliance between Gaithersburg and Washington Grove would have more weight with Park and Planning. Discussion.
  • WSSC property has been cleared and building has begun. The Mayor suggested that we
  • solicit volunteers to work on a committee that would oversee re-forestation in this area.
  • The Traffic Study is still pending. Mr. Cutro promised a proposal by the next meeting.

Casey Property at Mill Creek Status Report

Mayor Compton wrote a letter to Sami Totah (cc: Kaufman, Frank & Chen) which pointed out some positive gains and some remaining negatives in the current development plan. David Stopak voiced his concerns about the content of the letter and its legal consequences. John McClelland suggested that the letter should have asked for a response. A lengthy discussion ensued.

Council Reports

Safety, Lake

David Stopak reported that a wave of petty crimes had occurred recently. One bicycle was taken from a garage and another was taken from a backyard. It was also reported that a few unlocked cars had been ransacked and CD’s & change were stolen. Mr. Stopak asked the Town Clerk to put an item in the next Bulletin that urged people to report these crimes to both the Police and the Town. This will allow us to keep track of the crimes and request the necessary added protection to stop it. The Bulletin item will also encourage people to lock their cars and garage doors.

Roads, Heritage, Historic Preservation Commission & Memorials

Peggy Odick reported that the HPC continues to work on procedures and forms. They are trying to address the concerns about large structures. Ms. Odick also suggested an item for the Bulletin that asked people to keep their leaf piles out of the middle of the roads and walkways.

Recreation, Website & McCathran Hall

Betsy Klinger reported that the Town website seemed to be a little behind in posting minutes from the Planning Commission and the Historic Preservation Commission meetings. She will check in with ill Saar to make sure that there are no problems.

Planning Commission, Forestry & Beautification

Darrell Anderson reported that the Forestry Committee met on October 16th. The Committee will spend approximately $1,500.00 this fall on trees, will work with W.G.E.S. staff to encourage participation in the Maryland Arbor Day poster contest and discussed the roles of the Town Forester and Jim Fletcher regarding decision making on tree maintenance and tree removal.

Mr. Anderson also reported that 4 building permits had been approved by the Planning Commission permitting officer. There was also a recommendation by the Planning Commission to the Town Council that vehicular access to Cherry Avenue be eliminated and that the Council take appropriate actions to do so. Discussion.

Other Business

It was suggested that work on the Master Plan and Ordinance revisions could only get done at a separate meeting. A joint work session for the Town Council and the Planning Commission was scheduled for December 2, 2002.

The meeting was adjourned at 10:51 p.m.

Scroll Up