13 September 2010 | Approved: 11 October 2010
Mayor Anderson called the regular meeting of the Town Council to order at 7:34 p.m. In attendance were Councilors Joe Clark, Georgette Cole, Sylvie Favret and Ted Kelly. Also present were Treasurer Mary Challstrom and Town residents Charlie Challstrom, Ann Briggs, Birgit Henninger, Paula Puglisi, Bruce Rothrock and Judy Young.
Approval of the Agenda
Joe Clark moved, Sylvie Favret seconded that the agenda for September 13, 2010 be approved. The Mayor suggested that the Ridge Road speed humps discussion moved to the September 23rd meeting. Joe Clark asked to add the Election of a new Council member to the Mayor’s Announcements. Vote: 4-0.
Charlie Challstrom updated the Mayor and Council about the streetlight conversion project. He reported that PEPCO will get us any color bulb that we choose so he ordered three (3) different bulbs for evaluation by the Town. He also reported that PEPCO was not willing to release certain information about pay scales/salaries that was necessary for the paperwork involved in our grant application, therefore; we will not be able to qualify for the grant money from the State. Charlie also reported that the Town will recoup its money for the conversion in approximately one year.
Judy Young announced that there will be a service commemorating the 100th anniversary of the Washington Grove United Methodist Church on November 14, 2010. All are welcome.
Approval of Minutes
Joe Clark moved, Georgette Cole seconded that the Town Council minutes for August 9, 2010 be approved. Vote: 4-0.
Georgette Cole moved, Joe Clark seconded that the Town Council minutes for August 23, 2010 be approved. Vote: 4-0.
Approval of Council Reports from August 2010 for Posting on the Website
Georgette Cole moved, Joe Clark seconded that the Council Reports from August 2010 be approved for posting on the Town website. Vote: 4-0.
- Joe Clark moved, Bill Robertson seconded that the Treasurer’s report for August 2010 be accepted. There was a discussion about FEMA reimbursement money and legal expenses. Vote: 4-0.
Georgette Cole moved, Joe Clark seconded the motion to transfer funds in order to pay bills. Vote: 4-0.
- Treasurers Report 2010-09 pdf
Rebuilding Together Resolution – Discussion
Mayor Anderson explained a recent request received from Rebuilding Together Montgomery County for a resolution in support of their work for low income home owners. Our resolution, along with those from other municipalities, will accompany an application for vendor tax credits for those who donate to Rebuilding Together. There was a discussion about competition, the meaning of this support, what this group actually does and rebuilding existing homes vs. building a home from the ground up. The Town Clerk will write a draft resolution and send it to the Town Council for review. This subject will be on the agenda again on September 23, 2010.
Road Work – Discussion
Joe Clark gave the Council a list of the four (4) spots that needed work immediately. Bids for this work will go out shortly. Budget constraints may eliminate some of this work but that won’t be determined until October 25th when the bids will be opened. Joe will ask the bidders for a separate estimate for the speed humps.
Georgette Cole referenced her Community Garden Plan that was presented at the August 24th meeting of the Town Council. This will be a project for Town Maintenance and volunteers. Georgette will write another announcement for the Town Bulletin.
- Deer Park Bridge – Mayor Anderson reported that he had no comments, so far, about the engineering report on lowering the railroad tracks under the Deer Park Bridge. He went on to say that the bottom line for CSX seems to be the disruption in service. There was a brief discussion about an outside consultant.
- LOS Condemnation – Mayor Anderson lobbied the Council to get out the word about the Special Town Meeting on Wednesday. The trial is set for October 22, 2010 but we are still hoping for an out of court settlement. He went on to say that the Special Town Meeting is for one purpose only; to approve the use of $100K from the current budget and reserves to purchase the LOS property. There was a brief discussion about other possible expenses.
- Casey 6 & 7 – Mayor Anderson reported that David Dise, from Montgomery County, continues to say that he will get back to the Town concerning the plans for this property.
- Election to Replace Councilor Hines- Mayor Anderson would like to put forth Joli McCathran’s name for the open spot on the Council. If elected by the Council, Joli would serve until the next Town election. He will talk to her when she returns from vacation.
Ted Kelly has new information about how to deal with speeding on Town roads and will talk more at the next meeting. He went on to say that the Town Charter allows for the hiring of a police officer. He briefly mentioned a new program in Gaithersburg.
To be continued…
The regular meeting was adjourned at 9:45 p.m.
The Executive Session began at 9:50 p.m.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:45 p.m.