9 September 2013 | Approved: 14 October 2013
Mayor Cole called the regular meeting of the Town Council to order at 7:30 p.m. In attendance were Audrey Maskery, Joli McCathran, Carolyn Rapkievian, Bill Robertson, Greg Silber and David Young. Also present were Treasurer Mary Challstrom, Maintenance Supervisor Steve Werts, property owner Dennis Kane and residents David Hix, John Tomlin and Pastor Judy Young.
Approval of Agenda
David Young moved, Bill Robertson seconded that the agenda be approved. Mayor Cole added a discussion about an e-mail from Shelley Winkler to Public Appearances. Vote: 6-0, as amended.
Judy Young announced that there would be a grief seminar ("Coping Through Difficult Times") on October 3, 2013 at 7:30 PM in the Woman’s Clubhouse to offer help with the current emotional challenges in the wake of the loss of Nicholas Lembesis.
Shelley Winkler sent an e-mail to the Mayor and Council asking for the Town to look into the loud booms that seemed to be coming from the Roberts’ Oxygen property this afternoon. A discussion about the use of concussion grenades ensued. Carolyn Rapkievian offered to call the MCPD liaison to get more information. Mayor Cole suggested that e-mails to County representatives may help.
Approval of Minutes
Bill Robertson moved, David Young seconded that the meeting minutes for August 12, 2013 be approved. There were two (2) minor changes. Vote: 6-0.
- Bill Robertson moved, Audrey Maskery seconded that the August Council Reports be approved for posting on the Town website. A few corrections were made. Vote: 6-0, as amended.
- Audrey Maskery presented a picture of the new water injector purchased by the Town to aid in current and future drought relief efforts. She explained how it worked and talked about the pressure rod that Steve Werts manufactured. Bravo to all involved!
- Town Council Reports – September 2013 pdf
- Mayor Cole directed the Council’s attention to a recent Gaithersburg Gazette article about creating Quiet Zones in areas of the City of Gaithersburg that flank the railroad tracks. Audrey Maskery, Christine Dibble and Carolyn Rapkievian will attend a meeting in Gaithersburg where this will be discussed.
- Mayor Cole also announced that the Woodward Park Permit and Resolution had been translated into Spanish by Erin Compton. New signs in English and Spanish are forthcoming.
- Shady Grove Crossing – Mayor Cole stated that the construction fences behind 213 – 217 Ridge Road have been taken down. The fencing around the Black Gum (Nyssa Sylvatica) will remain until all six (6) homes in that area are completed. Communications with Toll Brothers about plantings continue. The need for additional screening in front of 334 and 358 Ridge has arisen. Mayor Cole stated if Toll would not pay for the additional screening from headlights the Town would. There was a brief discussion about maintenance responsibilities in the area.
- Washington Grove Meadow Park – At long last, M-NCPPC representative Brenda Sandberg will present the maintenance plan for the park to the decision-makers for approval. The meeting is scheduled for October 22, 2013. There was a brief discussion about mowing.
- Deer Park Bridge Update – Mayor Cole reported that a meeting with CSX is scheduled for September 11, 2013 at 7:00 PM in McCathran Hall. Members from the Council and the Committee will attend along with Town Attorney Suellen Ferguson.
- Treasurer Mary Challstrom reported that the Town is right in line with where it typically should be at this time of year. Joli McCathran moved, Greg Silber seconded that the Treasurer’s Report for August 2013 be accepted. Vote: 6-0.
- Treasurers Report 2013-09 pdf
- Mayor Cole reported that the Ethics Training Class will be held on October 18th from 11AM – 2PM. Lunch will be provided. Town employees and members of the Town Council and Planning Commission will attend. Joli McCathran arranged for this through the Maryland Municipal League.
- Mayor Cole also brought up the new Open Meetings Law. At least one (1) member of the Town Council must take a course concerning this new legislation.
- Carolyn Rapkievian asked about the protocol for addressing Yahoo Group communications specifically in reference to a recent communication from Shelley Winkler. Mayor Cole explained that she should restrict her communication to a private e-mail to Shelley. There was a brief discussion about use of the Yahoo Group for official communications.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:27 p.m.