301-926-2256 [email protected]

19 June 2018 | Approved: 17 July 2018


Present: Bob Booher, Mimi Styles, Wendy Harris and David Stopak. Darrell Anderson was welcomed as the new TC liaison. The meeting began at 7:30 p.m. Bob Booher took minutes.

Approval of Agenda and Adoption of Minutes

The proposed agenda was modified and then adopted unanimously. Minutes for the May HPC meeting were reviewed and adopted.

Project Reviews

There were no project reviews.

National Register Nomination Contract

Robinson Associates submitted the draft of the Phase 1 Preliminary Architectural Survey in May and the draft of the Phase 1 Preliminary Cultural Landscape Analysis in June. While the Commissioners had not done an in-depth review, there were some questions regarding the requested content, format and future use of the descriptions. The format and content followed that of the Boulder nomination submittal which Wendy had reviewed with the Maryland Historic Trust and had provided the researchers. The descriptions are very dry and do not contain individual commentary regarding sequential development, unique architectural features or anecdotal information. It was decided to request a meeting to review the issues discussed to better understand the purpose of the descriptions. Wendy and Bob will set up the meeting. In order to split up the review work, the Commission agreed to develop a list of common points at the next meeting that will be used to review the survey before August.
Wendy will review the Cultural Landscape Analysis to discuss with them as well. The Phase 1 Final Submission is in August.
Darrell requested that he be sent a copy of the Robinson contract.

Sign Restoration

Bob indicated he had discussed the spreadsheet developed by John Compton with him now that he is mayor. He had indicated that he would continue to work with Susan VanNostrand to keep it updated. Darrell agreed to discuss with John.

Ordinance for sale of surplus property

Bob reported that the The Public Hearing for Ordinance 2018-02 Process for the Sale of Surplus Properties was held June 9, 2018. Bob reiterated the comments previously provided. The Town Council introduced and discussed the proposed ordinance. There were several amendments introduced and accepted and the ordinance was approved unanimously. There will be individually developed sales ordinances for each property that will indicate the specific covenants agreed to with the owners. There is a general requirement for the PC and HPC to “Ensure that sufficient information has been submitted for that portion of the main building constructed on Town-owned land to document its dimensions and materials” which is meant to refer to the Exhibit C type document prepared by the HPC for the easement packages.

Masterplan recommendations

Wendy and David provided marked up lists of the sections they would work on. Mimi will provide her list before the next meeting. Bob will then collate the list to be used to organize our overall input.


Mimi has finalized Sunday October 21 as the date for the tour.

Design Guidelines

No discussion.

Bulletin Material

Mimi will add a request for anecdotal information to the next Bulletin.

PC Meeting Report

There was no report. Assignments were made going forward: July – David, August-Bob, September Mimi, Gail and Wendy will work out October and November.

Council Report

Darrell reported on the meeting.

WSSC work

Not discussed.

Visit by State Archivist

Maria Day from the state office met with Pat and Wendy to review the progress of transferring the records. She was extremely complimentary of the work so far, commenting that she had never seen such phenomenal, organized, impeccable work. They provided a brief walking tour that included Betty Knight’s house. She was duly impressed.


The meeting was adjourned at 9:30 pm. The next meeting will be Tuesday, August 19, 2018, at 7:30pm in the McCathran Hall meeting room.


Bob Booher

Translate »