301-926-2256 [email protected]

20 March 2018 | Approved: 23 October 2018

Members Present: Bob Booher, Wendy Harris, Gail Littlefield and Mimi Styles were present, as well as resident, Ed Mroczka.

Approval of Agenda:

The agenda was reviewed and approved, as amended.

Adoption of Minutes:

The draft minutes from the meeting of February 20, 2018, were reviewed with minor changes. Gail made a motion, seconded by Wendy, to approve the minutes, as amended. The motion carried unanimously.

Review Session.

Review of proposed alterations to 107 Grove Ave.

Ed Mroczka brought drawings showing (1) the current front and side elevations of the original section of his residence at 107 Grove Avenue, (2) planned exterior work to the roof, skylights, front elevation (verge board changes to accommodate thicker roof structure), new front door, and (3) changes to the interior structural system, balcony, walls. These changes will extend the livability of the home. These drawings will be made part of the Archives to record the evolution of this contributing resource.

Expansion of National Register Nomination:

Wendy reported that the work on the National Register update, per the Robinson and Associates status report, is going on schedule. Historical data collected in the easement drafting efforts will be placed in the Archives house files and in a separate binder in the HPC collection.

Status of sign rehab project.

Gail had circulated copies of Susan Van Nostrand’s sign spreadsheet and a draft “sign design policy” for John Compton to use in a presentation to TC. Gail will forward these to John.

Easements and Sale of Property.

Bob indicated that Suellen has drafted a “reversion” clause for the Sale of Property ordinance under consideration. The current draft offers an option for an easement or a sale.

Masterplan update.

Gail will contact Charlie about when discussions will begin on the update. She will ask David and Bob to circulate their submissions for the 2009 Master Plan that were not accepted.

Preservation Maryland Tours.

Mimi will contact Chris Kirtz about what Preservation Maryland’s expectations are for a tour of Washington Grove. The HPC would not be able to participate prior to May.


The group has not met.

Vacant Properties Work Group.




Council report.

John Compton was not present to report.

New Business.

WSSC work. Gail has been emailing with the WSSC representative on this project, which is replacement of some of our Avenues’ 6” sewer mains with 8” pipe and connections to some houses. WSSC did obtain a Public Ways Permit for the project and Steve Werts has some information on the job. Gail will try to find out how much digging will be involved, where, and what is the plan for restoration after. E.g., what gravel.

Minutes prepared and submitted by:
Gail Littlefield

Translate »