301-926-2256 [email protected]

5 February 2014 | Approved: 5 March 2014

Chairman Challstrom called the meeting to order at 7:32 p.m. In attendance were commissioners Brenda Gumula, Peter Nagrod, Freda Temple, Steve Werts and David Young. Also in attendance were HPC members Bob Booher and Wendy Harris, Mayor Georgette Cole and residents Bruce Rothrock and Ryan Young. Architect Ralph Hurst arrived at 7:43 p.m.

Approval of Agenda

Peter Nagrod moved, David Young seconded that the agenda be approved. As a follow-up to the Joint TC, PC, HPC Worksession, Chairman Challstrom added a proposed revision of “Information for Applicants for a Building Permit” and an update to Shady Grove Crossing.
Approved: 5-0.

Approval of the Minutes

Brenda Gumula moved, Peter Nagrod seconded that the Planning Commission minutes for February 5, 2014 be approved. Chairman Challstrom removed a sentence from the Continuation of Block Surveys section and there were two (2) spelling corrections.
Approved, as amended: 5-0.

Public Appearances

There were no public appearances.

Permit Applications

  • 404 Grove Avenue: Peter Nagrod reported that the setbacks and height for this project are fine and the HPC review is attached. However, the boundary survey is not yet complete. Ryan Young explained the plan. Brenda Gumula asked if the HPC addressed the “boxiness” of the addition. Ryan explained that other configurations (more peak, less box) did not work. A lengthy discussion ensued. Peter Nagrod moved to approve the building permit application for an addition at 404 Grove Avenue pending receipt of a boundary survey. Brenda Gumula seconded the motion. Approved: 5-0.

Public Ways and Property Permit Applications

Chairman Challstrom reported that Clark Construction sent the $100.00 permit fee along with the 70% CSX plan for the Deer Park Bridge area. He explained the contents of the 70% plan. He also expressed concern about using a 70% plan as the basis for approval of proposed project. He stated that the Commission should comment on this 70% interim stage plan but that full approval or final acceptance would not happen without receipt of a 100% plan. The members discussed; final acceptance, scheduling, remaining 30%, the merits of good communication, Town property at the site and what defines a right-of-way. Bob Booher brought to light the fact that presenting a 70% plan is fairly standard in the industry and doesn’t mean that there will be major differences with a plan that includes the remaining 30%. However, a 70% plan is preliminary and should be treated as such. There was additional discussion about the 70% plan which concluded with the following recommendations:

  • Comments to CSX should come from the Planning Commission
  • Comments to CSX should come from the Historic Preservation Commission.
  • Comments to CSX should come from the Mayor along with a request for a face-to-face meeting with Chip Dobson from CSX.

Chairman Challstrom also suggested that comments should come from the Bridge Advisory Group as well.

Development of Building Standards Compliance Checklist

Chairman Challstrom, Peter Nagrod and Steve Werts presented their completed checklists. A discussion ensued resulting in a few more changes to the document. The members enjoyed working on this list for their properties.

Railroad Street Improvement Plan

Chairman Challstrom introduced the Railroad Street Improvements Plan documents and explained the Commission’s charge. The Planning Commission will craft a plan of action and engage others for comment/revisions. Doing an amendment to our current Master Plan was also discussed. The Commission decided to have a Worksession on March 19, 2014 for this topic only.

Report from Town Council

see #5 (Public Ways and Property Permit Applications) and #7 (PC Budget Recommendations for FY 2015).

Draft Revision of "Information for Applicants for a Building Permit"The Commission discussed the new idea of changing the placement of the HPC review from the end to the beginning of the permitting process. Because of the late hour, the Commission decided to table this discussion until the March meeting.

Other Business

  • Consultation for Property Corners in Blocks 13 & 15: Chairman Challstrom reported that Snider & Associates will do boundary surveys for the Philips/Shapiro (403 McCauley St.) and Samour/Harmon (333 McCauley St.) properties at a reduced rate in conjunction with the Town Block 6 survey.

The meeting was adjourned at 10:00 p.m.

Translate »