301-926-2256 [email protected]

2 June 2010 | Approved: 7 July 2010

Chairman Evans called the meeting to order at 7:40. In attendance were Commissioners Samantha Beres, Jane Seegal, Georgette Cole, Eric Gleason and Steve Werts, as well as Lee O’Donoghue and the Tomlins.

Approval of Minutes

Chairman Evans called for the minutes to be approved and the minutes were approved by the group.

Public Appearances

Lee O’Donoghue, 115 Washington Grove Lane, came to inquire about fixing a fence. She had a boundary survey done and a permit. Commissioner Eric Gleason will review her application/permit by the next meeting.
The Tomlins, 358 Ridge Road, came to present their plans for a shed/artist studio (see below).

Building Permits

358 Ridge Rd: The Tomlins attended to present their plans for a 29′ X 36′ shed / artist studio. The plans had been reviewed by Eric Gleason and a boundary survey was included with the application. The boundary survey includes a “future” subdivision within the allowable limits (not proposed at this time).

Commissioner Eric Gleason reviewed the plans prior to the meeting to ensure that the proposed activity met the relevant required minimums from Town Ordinances relating to accessory buildings in RR-4 Zone. Article VII. Section 9.1: (RR-4 / Accessory Buildings). All setbacks meet requirements as does lot coverage. The height limitation is right at the maximum allowable 20′, and the measurement is taken from “finished grade.”

Eric Gleason recommended approval. Georgette Cole seconded the motion. Approved: 5-0. The residents will not be notified until after this project has been reviewed by the HPC.

Update on Enforcement Issues

  • 313 Brown – Commissioner Steve Werts reported that the footers were put in and he assessed that they were over 10 feet from the property line. The code inspector found a possible violation of 2 inches from the submitted plans. The absence of a boundary survey did not permit him to ascertain whether or not that was accurate. (Boundary survey not required due to the plans being submitted before the ordinance.)
  • It should be noted that the plans were a 6 inch setback from the house on the version presented to the town; on the county version they were 4 inches. Werts observed that it was a 1.5 inch difference. The PC discussed that the group should be copied on all plan submissions including those that are re-submitted.
  • 114 Ridge – The PC anticipates that the code inspector will review the wall on Friday June 4.

Update on Mansionization Process

  • David Neumann will do last revisions and final wordsmithing.
  • Final review will likely be done via e-mail.
  • Chairman Evans will work with Bob Booher about moderating the meeting.
  • Georgette Cole will work with Charlie Challstrom on publicity.
  • The group agreed it would be good to close the gap between presentation and the process for final ordinance.

Boundary Survey Requirements – Discussion

The boundary survey was discussed in regard to the new ordinance requiring a boundary survey for fences. The Commission discussed the issue of replacing already existing fences for which the ordinance does apply. The ordinance does say that marked corner markers may meet the requirement.

Report from the Town Council

Georgette Cole presented a written report (Exhibit A), via e-mail, to the Commissioners. There were no questions.

Other Business

  • External Propane Tanks – The issue of external propane gas tanks came up. We do not have an ordinance for this but the propane companies have safety criteria (these do not align with our setback requirements but that seems to be a nonissue). The PC will be taking a further look into this issue.
  • The building permit package – Georgette noted that we should make sure folks have filled out the lot coverage when new building structures are added to properties.
  • Building Permits – PC agreed that building permits should be posted online for transparency. Eric will explore posting a public notice that lists active permits and permits under consideration on the Town Website.

The meeting was adjourned at 9:03 p.m.

Translate »