27 September 2010 | Approved: 11 October 2010
Mayor Anderson called the regular meeting of the Town Council to order at 7:30 p.m. In attendance were Councilors Joe Clark, Georgette Cole, Sylvie Favret and Bill Robertson. Also present were Treasurer Mary Challstrom and Town residents Charlie Challstrom, Birgit Henninger, Joli McCathran and Paula Puglisi. Ted Kelly arrived after the swearing in of Joli McCathran.
Approval of the Agenda
Joe Clark moved, Georgette Cole seconded that the agenda be approved. Mayor Anderson removed the Executive Session, added the Rebuilding Together Resolution as the fifth item and changed the third item from “Mayor’s Appointment to the Council” to “Election to the Council”. Vote: 4-0.
Election to the Council
Georgette Cole moved to nominate Joli McCathran to finish out the term vacated by Marida Hines. Joe Clark seconded the motion. Vote: 4-0. Mayor Anderson administered the Oath of Office to Councilor Joli McCathran.
Introduction of Ordinance No. 2010-09
Authorizing Conveyance of Legacy Open Space Property: Mayor Anderson gave the background for this action and explained that the Town Charter requires that the acquisition of land be done by ordinance. The Public Hearing was set for October 25, 2010.
Georgette Cole moved to introduce Ordinance No. 2010-09. Bill Roberts seconded the motion. Vote: 6-0.
Resolution No. 2010-08
Resolution in Support of Rebuilding Together Montgomery County: Paula Puglisi reported that no other groups were competing for these County funds. Joli McCathran asked for clarification. Mayor Anderson brought Joli up to speed.
Ted Kelly moved to approve Resolution No. 2010-08. Sylvie Favret seconded the motion.
Ridge Road Speed Humps & Closing Center St. @ Cherry Ave. – Discussion
Bill Robertson presented information about speed humps, speed bumps and speed tables. He also presented a plan (Exhibit A) to re-work on speed bump (closest to 112 Ridge Rd.) and make the two (2) remaining humps in to speed tables. After a lengthy discussion about speed tables vs. speed humps, unknown costs, supporting hard data, previous authorization, effect on wheelchairs, roller blades & bikes, asking Town Maintenance to do the hump near 112 Ridge Road and borrowing a “Your Speed Is” machine, the decision was made to ask Town Maintenance to modify the hump near 112 Ridge and rebuild the others when road repairs are done. The idea of blocking Center Street at Cherry Ave. would have to go through a complete public vetting. A discussion about process, enforcement and emergency vehicle access ensued.
McCathran Hall Rental Policy
The biggest problem seems to be amplification, either with a DJ or a live band, during times when the windows and doors must be open. A discussion ensued. Because there have been no revisions of this policy since 2004, Mayor Anderson will ask the McCathran Hall Needs Committee to re-visit this issue paying particular attention to noise levels and air conditioning the Hall. Mayor Anderson will call Committee Chair Ann Briggs.
The Council asked questions about and discussed the following:
- Tennis Court Fence Repairs
- Oak Trees in the old Community Garden
- Finished grade at 415 Grove Avenue
- New Barrier at McCauley St. and Grove Road – Bravo!
- Deer Park Bridge Update: Mayor Anderson reported that CSX was getting impatient in terms of waiting for Town input. Things will move along faster upon the return of Gary Hayward. The Town position still stands; lowering the tracks. CSX would like to schedule another meeting about this for the end of October.
- LOS Condemnation Update: Mayor Anderson reported that things were moving along well. He cancelled the Executive Session; however, because there wasn’t yet enough to say. Heavy settlement talks have been going on for 3 months and they are going well. Everything is in place for either a trial or settlement out of court.
- Casey 6 & 7: Mayor Anderson reported that there was nothing new on this issue.
The Town Clerk pointed at the new street lights on 4 poles along Chestnut Road and asked the Council to look at them. An announcement will be place in the Town Bulletin.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:23 p.m.