18 May 2004 | Approved: 12 June 2004
HPC members present: Bob Booher, Chair, Chris Kirtz, Ed Mroczka, Bruce Rothrock, and David Neumann.
Public Work Session
The May 18, 2004 meeting of the Historic Preservation Commission began at 7:30 p.m. The agenda was approved. The Chair asked David Neumann to take minutes.
Discussed Information Flyer for Building Permit Applicants.
Need to add:
- "of the appropriate drawings" in bullet No. 4.
- "of the drawings as approved by the County to the Town Office for our files"
Lingering Issues Discussed.
- Getting the reviews to Bill Saar. David Neumann said he would get that completed.
- Historic District: legal status.
- Budget for the HPC. Need to ask mayor for specific budget amount.
- Design Guidelines.
Augment List of Contributing Structures.
(Mostly add information on why structures are on the List. Get the List on the Town Web Site. David Neumann said he would handle this with the reviews.
Rules for the Archive. Bob Booher said he would call Missy Yachup.
- Appleby – no contract to do work yet. HPC decided to ask Trescott to do the work.
- Discussed possibility of asking that the work be done on the Luxford residence.
Was the remaining structure of Carolyn Luxford still a contributing structure? Trescott could possibly determine this.
Question: Should we ask for photos of a structure if it is a contributing structure and the owner applies to make significant alterations.
Certificates of Review: Need the list of all that we have done. Get the list to Bill Saar and get the reviews to Bill Saar. Neumann reiterated his volunteering to liaison with Bill Saar.
Discussed Article 10 of the HPC By-Laws. They were agreed to be sufficient at present. This arose due to questions of conflicts as some members are acting as advisors to applicants to the commission.
Bulletin Summaries. Discussed the need to continue these summaries in the Town Bulletin
Styles Residence. Discussed the inclusion of a stained glass window in the south-facing gable end of the house. This had not appeared in the plans submitted to the HPC. The HPC had stated in its review that leaving that face of the old structure as unaltered as possible was a priority. Mr. Kirtz has acted as advisor to Ms. Styles and is also a member of the HPC. There was some discussion of the discomfort this caused the HPC and some of its members.
Bruce Rothrock made a motion that the HPC should write a letter asking for an exception on the Winkler case at the board of Zoning Appeals. Bob will write the letter top the Appeals Board.
Budget: Bob will ask for $2400.00 in the 2005 Budget.
Public Review Session
- Reviewed plans for the construction and demolition of a porch on the northeast corner of the residence of Steven and Cynthia Werts at 410 Oak St. This is the side that faces Cherry Avenue and Oak St. The review was discussed. Ed agreed to write-up the review for the Planning Commission and the owner. It was decided not to review this application and to write a letter to the Planning Commission and send a copy to the applicant. The material submitted was not sufficient for us to perform the review.
Public Work Session (continued)
The minutes of the previous meeting were discussed and approved.
The Commission examined the calendar. The next regular meeting will be held on June 15, 2004 at 7:30 pm. The chair moved that we adjourn.
The meeting was adjourned at 10:30 p.m.