10 August 2009 | Approved: 14 September 2009
Mayor Anderson called the regular meeting of the Town Council to order at 7:37 p.m. In attendance were Councilors Charlie Challstrom, Joe Clark, Georgette Cole, Sylvie Favret, Marida Hines and Ted Kelly. Also present was Treasurer Mary Challstrom.
Approval of the Agenda
Joe Clark moved, Georgette Cole seconded that the Agenda for August 10, 2009 be approved. Charlie Challstrom requested the addition of a draft Debt Management Policy under New Business.
There were no public appearances.
Approval of Minutes
Georgette Cole moved, Charlie Challstrom seconded that the Town Council minutes for July 13, 2009 be approved. Vote: 6-0.
Georgette Cole moved, Charlie Challstrom seconded that the Town Council minutes for July 27, 2009 be approved. Vote: 6-0.
Approval of July 2009 Council Reports for Posting on the Website
Georgette Cole moved, Ted Kelly seconded that the reports from the Town Council for July 27, 2009 be approved for posting on the Town website. There was a date error under the Planning Commission section. Vote: 6-0.
There was a brief discussion about the need for the adoption of a driveway permit and about asphalt vs. gravel. Recently, asphalt driveways were installed at 116 & 118 Ridge Road. The residents at 116 also added an asphalt parking pad that runs parallel to the road and is likely to be entirely on Town property. Sending a letter to the residents was discussed. The letter should contain language acknowledging that the driveway is on Town property, the Town government will not ask for its removal but no further improvements will be allowed without approval from the Mayor and Council. Mayor Anderson would like the Planning Commission to work on a clear driveway permit.
There was a discussion about how state cut-backs might affect the Town and about property tax assessments. Georgette Cole moved, Marida Hines seconded that the Treasurer’s report for July 2009 be accepted. Vote: 6-0.
Georgette Cole moved, Ted Kelly seconded the motion to transfer funds in order to pay bills.
L.G.I.T. Draft Policies Review – Progressive Discipline Policy & Unlawful Harassment Policy
The Mayor and Town Council discussed possible changes to the L.G.I.T. policies presented by Charlie Challstrom. There was a brief discussion about policy vs. guidelines.
Unlawful Harassment – The Mayor and Council discussed the following;
- Needed provision for dealing with the Mayor as the harasser.
- Needed provision for what to do if the Mayor doesn’t act on a complaint.
- Place for a signature indicating that one has read and understands the policy.
- Protection for the person filing the complaint.
The Mayor asked that the Council review this again and that it be put on the agenda for the August 24th meeting.
LED Streetlight Update
Charlie Challstrom announced that PEPCO is now ready to go ahead with this new technology. PEPCO has offered to meet with Town representatives on Monday night at 9:00PM to show examples of lights currently under consideration.
- Casey 6 & 7 – Mayor Anderson thanked the Council for their input and presented the finished document that defines the Town position. A discussion ensued. Insisting that the only acceptable use for this land is that of an I-3 nature is the Towns best argument.
- Deer Park Bridge – Mayor Anderson announced that there will be a ribbon cutting ceremony upon completion of this project. No date has been decided yet. There was a discussion about a parade, antique cars, musket shooting, people dressed in period costumes, pictures, and a reception perhaps in McCathran Hall. Marida, Sylvie, Ted and Kathy offered to help with this.
- LOS Update – There was nothing to report.
Charlie Challstrom presented a draft Debt Management Policy and explained about the new requirements from the State Treasurer’s Office. The Mayor and Council will review this and discuss it again at the August 24th meeting.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:35 p.m.