12 January 2015 | Approved: 9 Feburary 2015
Mayor Joli McCathran called the regular meeting of the Town Council to order at 7:30 p.m. In attendance were Georgette Cole, Cindy Frei, Audrey Maskery, John McClelland, Carolyn Rapkievian, and Greg Silber. Also present were Treasurer Mary Challstrom, Planning Commission Chair Charlie Challstrom, resident Jane Seegal and property owner Dennis Kane. Residents Ed Roberts and John Compton arrived after Public Appearances.
Approval of Agenda
Georgette Cole moved to approve the agenda. Cindy Frei seconded the motion. Mayor McCathran added Use of McCathran Hall and Website Update as numbers 10 and 11, respectively. Vote: 6-0.
Closed Meeting Statement
The 8 December 2014 meeting of the Town Council in the Council Room in McCathran Hall went to a closed session at 9:50 PM. The meeting was closed under General Provisions Article 3-305(b), (1) to discuss the appointment, employment, assignment, promotion, discipline, demotion, compensation, removal, resignation, or performance evaluation of appointees, employees, or officials over whom this public body has jurisdiction; any other personnel matter that affects one or more specific individuals. Georgette Cole, Cindy Frei, Audrey Maskery, Carolyn Rapkievian and Greg Silber voted to close the meeting. The Mayor and Town Council (minus John McClelland) attended the closed session. This was a discussion only. No action was taken. There was no recorded vote.
Resident Jane Seegal inquired about the absence of her Permanent Easement Application from the agenda. Mayor McCathran reported the HPC was preparing diagrams to complete the packet and expected them to complete by the February meeting. Mayor McCathran will put this item on the agenda for February.
Approval of Minutes
John McClelland moved to approve the meeting minutes for 8 December 2014. Audrey Maskery seconded the motion. Vote: 6-0.
- Carolyn Rapkievian moved to accept the Treasurer’s Report for December 2014. Georgette Cole seconded the motion. The Council discussed John McClelland’s suggestion regarding a change from traditional phone service to a voice over internet service to save money. Mary will further research this item. Greg Silber inquired about the money for the emergency snow contract and about the Town website development. Vote: 6-0.
- Georgette Cole moved to transfer $10,000 from savings to checking in order to pay bills. Audrey Maskery seconded the motion. Vote: 6-0.
- John McClelland moved to authorize Treasurer Mary Challstrom to move $60,000 to TD Bank if necessary as determined by certain bank regulations. Carolyn Rapkievian seconded the motion. Vote: 6-0.
- Mary Challstrom handed out a guide and calendar for budgeting for this year. The Budget Work session will be on March 23, 2015.
- At this time in the meeting, residents Ed Roberts and John Compton asked to make a Public Appearance. John Compton handed out two (2) letters: one (1) signed by Mr. Roberts and one (1) signed by Mr. Compton and Mr. Anderson. The letters were in regard to vehicular access to Mr. Roberts’ property at 6 The Circle. The Town Clerk signed for receipt only of both letters. Mr. Roberts stated he did not wish to discuss the letters at this time, nor did he have anything more to say. The content and history of the letters were discussed later in the meeting as noted under New Business.
- Treasurers Report 2015-January pdf
Application for Zoning Text Amendment
The Mayor and Council discussed setting the date for the public hearing, notification requirements for the public hearing and notification of the action 10 days after the approval of the ordinance by means of a summary in the Town Bulletin. The public hearing will be on February 23, 2015 at 7:30 PM in the Council Room.
- The idea of a joint work session with the Town Council, Planning Commission and the Historic Preservation Commission was discussed. This meeting is scheduled for February 18, 2015 from 7:30 PM ‘ 9:00 PM. Mayor McCathran will send an invitation to PC and HPC members. She will also prepare a draft agenda and solicit input for all three (3) bodies.
Wade Park Boundaries
Mayor McCathran explained the potential sale of 416 5th Avenue as the reason for this agenda item. She explained the home’s brick steps and a portion of a brick patio are on Town land. Some think the best time to correct such encroachments is when the property changes hands. The Mayor and Council discussed the following:
- Boundary survey of Wade Park
- Boundary survey of 416 5th Avenue (Settlement requirement?)
- Returning land to original, natural condition
- Interpretation of current knowledge pertaining to existing markers
- Working together with the resident
Audrey Maskery, Steve Werts, Charlie Challstrom and the buyer will meet and discuss the options for resolving the problem.
- John McClelland moved to accept the January Council reports for posting on the Town website. Georgette Cole seconded the motion. Carolyn Rapkievian reported she discussed a time table for the website conversion with Marida Hines. E-mails announcing a kick-off meeting on January 26, 2015 were sent out. She suggested an item be written for the Town Bulletin asking for ‘testers’ (old & young) to get feedback on use of the site from various residents. Greg Silber suggested the leaf removal contractor’s performance should be assessed for this year. Mayor McCathran volunteered to work with Greg on this item. Carolyn Rapkievian reported skating on Maple Lake had occurred last week. There was a brief mention of the number of trees being planted in the Conservation Meadow Park. Vote: 6-0.
- Town Council Reports – January 2015 pdf
Use of McCathran Hall
Mayor McCathran asked for Council approval of a film-making class which will be taught by Zachary Fletcher in February and March. She explained Zach taught a similar class last year. There was confusion about payments for the class. Although the proper form had been filled out by Zach and signed by Recreation Committee Chair Missy Yachup, approval from the Council had not been sought as required by Resolution Number 3-78 and the Bulletin item did not mention a fee for the class. All agreed it appeared a communication breakdown was the cause of the confusion. The Council approved the film class by general consensus.
- Website Update – Mayor McCathran reported the website needed updates in terms of people who are listed but no longer members of some committees and commissions. She will send an e-mail to the webmaster.
- Backup Snow Contract Update ‘ Mayor McCathran reported the backup snow contract was signed and in place.
- Forest Management Contract Update ‘ There was nothing new to report on this item.
- Mayor McCathran reported sending the response letter from Montgomery County DOT to the Town Traffic Advisory Committee for feedback. DOT’s letter was in response to the Town’s letter about safety concerns specifically along Washington Grove Lane, brought to the Mayor’s attention by the Committee.
- Council members discussed the letters from Mr. Anderson and Mr. Compton, and from Mr. Roberts which were presented earlier in the meeting. Mayor McCathran asked Mayor Pro Tempore John McClelland to lead the discussion. Georgette Cole gave a brief history of the perceived problems with the rope gate at Miller Drive and Grove Avenue and access to #6 The Circle via 2nd Avenue and explained how it was addressed when she was Mayor. The Council concluded John McClelland would reply to the signers of these letters.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:33 p.m.